RIP Mr. R.A. "Bob" Hoover

Just heard that Bob Hoover has flown west...

Great memories of seeing him fly airshows when I was a kid back in the 70s/80s. Earliest memories was seeing him in the yellow Rockwell Int. P-51.

Edited by 82Whitey51

RIP Bob Hoover you were one of the best!

Saw Bob many a time starting in the mid-sixty's. His "energy management' demo with the Aero Commander was always good, especially at the bottom of the loop. Found this on You Tube, thought you would enjoy it.

Jager

I managed to pull this kit out of mothballs today. Looks like I'll be doing a model of "Ole Yeller" here in the coming months. Not sure I will use this specific kit as there are better P-51s out there. But at least this one has a nice pilot figure of Bob at the controls.

yeller1_zpsrr1mrhhm.jpg

15 hours ago, Jay Chladek said:

I managed to pull this kit out of mothballs today. Looks like I'll be doing a model of "Ole Yeller" here in the coming months. Not sure I will use this specific kit as there are better P-51s out there. But at least this one has a nice pilot figure of Bob at the controls.

yeller1_zpsrr1mrhhm.jpg

Great kit!

Regarding "Bob at the controls"...is he in a suit and tie?

DRAW decals has sheets of both the Rockwell bird seen there...as well as "Ole Yeller" from the Reno days.

http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=32-P51-38

http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=32-P51-4

NAS S. Weymouth MA, 1976 (Note the "Dallas" canopy)

1545876_1382714801988324_541072478313700

10320528_1382701305323007_49694659033402

Edited by 82Whitey51

OMG!

RIP Mr. Hoover

I saw him many times at air shows in the 70's and 80's. Notably flying his demo in the Shrike Commander and the Yellow Rockwell P-51. The man was an amazing pilot and air show  demonstrator. Very sad to read of his passing. :crying::salute:

Edited by Gordon Shumway