Alright, I finally decided on what to build for this Group Build. After toying with a rather dissapointing Italeri A-26C, and not being sure if a FB-111A would fit into the GB, I have picked the A-7E Corsair. I will be building two at the same time, one will be a US Navy VA-146 one, from 1971 on the USS Constellation, and the other one will be a Hellenic Air Force one, in the SEA scheme. Kits of choice will be the Fujimi ones.

I have sprayed some grey on the cockpit bits, photos will be posted once my camera battery has been charged, and when Photobucket gets its act together. :soapbox:

• 2 weeks later...

I see postimage.org is still around. I guess they worked things out.

Anyway....pics!

As mentioned, I will be building two Corsairs.

One from VA-146 on the USS Constellation in 1971/1972:

A-7E_USS_Constellation_1972_zpsneelmw7h.

And one from the Greek Air Force:

LTV_A-7E_Corsair_II_Greece_-_Air_Force_A

I'm using the Fujimi kits, which are nice, shapewise, but not the most detailed or best fitting. The instruments are a bit generic, with the IP mostly looking like the A-7D one. At least they're tiny and not very visible.

PB085376_zpsdezf2iel.jpg

A-7E's have some sort of cable duct on each side, and Fujimi provides them like this. Should be fun removing them from the sprue and cleaning them up:

PB085375_zpsdlowbuin.jpg

And for completeness sake, an overall look:

PB085381_zpsjfix1w0n.jpg

Next up; closing the fuselage, and start working on the intakes. :OMG-OMG:

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress. The fuselages are together now, and you can start to see the differences between the early USN one (right), and the later Greek one (left). The fuselage halves fit together nicely, but the intake sections are pretty bad. I will have to fill some fairly large gaps along the top of the intake bits.

PB185382_zpsqzizqegw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They're starting to look like Corsairs now. The fuselage seams have been sanded, and I'm filling the gap between the intake and the fuselage now. I also got the wings glued on, and many of the smaller lumps and bumps glued on. Greek one in front, USN in the back.

PB275386_zpsxu02fwle.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

And we're at the painting stage. The USN one has been painted with Tamiya flat white and ModelMaster enamel Light Gull Grey, the Greek one with Gunze. I first painted it with the paint straight from the jar, then used liquid masking stuff from Humbrol to mask off edges of panels and fasteners etc, and then went over it with a lightened tan. Hopefully it will look a bit like those weathered Greek Corsairs in the end.

PC205388_zpsc5ptbb0x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I'm about done with the decals on the USN one. They are Wolfpak, and very nice to work with. I have started the Greek one, which comes with quite a bit of tiny stencils, so that shall take a bit longer.

P1075394_zps57w4p2hz.jpg

Thanks. I used Gunze H309 for it, with a few drops of the very light grey paint from the bottom. First time I have used Gunze paints, and I must say I really like them.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Thanks. I used Gunze H309 for it, with a few drops of the very light grey paint from the bottom. First time I have used Gunze paints, and I must say I really like them.

Thanks a lot Pete, i'm awaiting the finished birds, have fun in the mean time weathering the HAF Corsair. :cheers: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got me some ordnance for the Corsairs today. They're Brassin, and very nice. The M117's will go on the Greek bird, and the Rockeyes will go on the USN one, along with some Shrike missiles from the kit.

P2115445_zpsriagfru7.jpg

Great job 'til now my friend!

But if you use the Brassin ordnance ( beautiful,you've the same Rockeyes of my Harrier) please buy also the Shrike,or the difference will be evident,especially forr the missiled fin.

If you want an slightly cheap option you can buy the Shrike of Attack Squadron,I've some ordnance and other AM of this brand and are very good!

Gianni

Thanks, both of you. Gianni, maybe next time. The kit Shrikes do look a bit underwhelming now, yes. That Attack Squadron stuff is on my "to try" list for sure.

Anyway, they're about done. Here's one pic for now. I'll post some more in the finished builds section tomorrow.

P2205447_zpst8jd06za.jpg