Early F-14A and F-14B conversions

6 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Looking good Darren! 

Will you be doing a separate version of the early beaver tail without the dielectric panels?

Mark

Probably not. The cuts are very easy, though. There are distinct panel lines. You can have the panels cut out in a matter of minutes. 

I like the boat tail. I almost wonder if you could use a decal for the gun gas vents? Fightertown or VF Decals Tomcat data sheet had one for a grill on a D that looks pretty good on the sheet. Save some cutting and potential filling.  

36 minutes ago, jbryan911 said:

I like the boat tail. I almost wonder if you could use a decal for the gun gas vents? Fightertown or VF Decals Tomcat data sheet had one for a grill on a D that looks pretty good on the sheet. Save some cutting and potential filling.  

I believe I've seen decals for the seven grill gun vent on previous sheets. I don't have the capability to do that, unfortunately. The cuts really aren't that hard. They are along panel lines. The picture makes the gap seem much bigger than it really is. Some Mr. Surfacer thrown in there will take care of it. I thought about doing the entire piece, but my rejection rate with the NACA vents convinced me to do a simpler piece. 

Your parts look good, I'm more worried about my cutting it apart......

If you need anything photographed or measured exterior wise,  161605, a late A is at the Wings of Eagles museum about an hour from me. It's in pretty good shape.

1 hour ago, Air one said:

Hi Darren,

1/ Is the early boat tail retrofittable for the Hasegawa kit ?

2/ Will you sell a set including boat tail+early vent+early chin pod ?

3/ No plan to issue a F-14 prototype conv....??

Regards,

Good questions. Here are some answers for you.

1. No, it won't fit the Hasegawa, but you're in luck. My Steel Beach line has an early beaver tail for the Hasegawa kit. The part number is SBA48998. It's available at spruebrothers.com.

2. The early backdate set will be the full meal deal. You'll get the beaver tail, gun vent, and chin sensor.

3. I've looked at doing that for the Hasegawa kit, and it's a LOT of work. I'm not sure my casting skills are able to do that.

Something you should consider casting are the vents next to the vertical stabilizer bases. The Monogram parts look so much nicer... I'm sure you have plenty to pull a casting from. I replaced the substandard Hasegawa vents with Monograms and it looked 100% better! Tamiya's parts don't look as good as Monograms either...

img028.jpg

Daren,

are you planning to add the cockpit mods to the B conversion, too?

I mean the new HUD, RIO IP and the side panel with the LANTRIN control panel on the l/h side...and maybe the GPS display :)

Alex

Edited by coneheadff
On October 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Darren Roberts said:

2. The early backdate set will be the full meal deal. You'll get the beaver tail, gun vent, and chin sensor.

Would you need this set to build the LGG/white VF-1 bird from the Fightertown USA Part 2 decal sheet?  

Steve

3 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Would you need this set to build the LGG/white VF-1 bird from the Fightertown USA Part 2 decal sheet?  

Steve

That would be an affirmative. Hopefully the sets will be available by mid-November. I'm building up stock now.