Filling gaps with CA glue...

So I primed my Hasegawa Tomcat, and I noticed some cracks and gaps that I missed that need to be dealt with. I'm planning on using CA glue to take care of it, and I've already sanded the primer off the areas I need to deal with. So that brings me to my question...what do you folks use for gap-filling CA, and how long should I let it dry before I start sanding it?

I typically use a hobby shop brand, such as Bob Smith Industries. I don't mix talc in mine since I don't see it as a requirement. As for when to sand, I typically apply the glue, carefully dribble in a tiny bead of activator (using the siphon tube as a pinpoint applicator rather than spraying it) and sand right away once it is dry to the touch in a couple minutes. You want to sand within the first two or three hours. Don't wait any longer than eight because if you do, the glue will dry harder than the surrounding plastic and gall out of the gap. Doing it right away means it will sand the easiest. 

I use Loctite for my assembly and gap filling needs. Ask your dentist about dental filling powder, which makes a nice alternative to baking powder. (You can find it online as well, including Amazon.) Generally I allow the super glue to dry about 10-15 minutes. The longer it sets, the harder it gets.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Pretty much what the others have said.   I use a needle inserted into an old paintbrush handle as an applicator.   I fill the eye of the needle with CA and apply it very sparingly.   If I'm in a hurry, I'll hit it with kicker or some other accelerator and sand right away.  Like Jay said, don't let it set too long or you'll be sanding for days.  If I'm filling a large area, I may use baking powder and apply the CA to this.   A word of advice though, it will get pretty hot due to the chemical reaction so don't do too much or you run the risk of melting the underlying plastic.   This was an old balsa airplane technique that a buddy's dad taught us.