I was wondering....

Can the NEW 1/48 Airfix kit be built as a XP-40? What changes are needed? (I think there is a bulge over the tail wheel)

Xp_40.jpg

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by f-16
  • 1 year later...

Just discovered this post.
In short no. The XP-40 was converted from the 10th mfg P-36. The nose is really different from the Production P-40 so you can't just splice the nose to a Academy P-36.
We need one of the resin aftermarket wizards, like Lonestar models to do one.

In the latest IPMS Canada RT (Volume 40-Number 2) there is an article as to XP40 serial 38-10 as to it's visit to Ottawa in May 1940 with a discussion on how to do this conversion (with illustrations) and on the free decal sheet with the issue there is both 1/48 and 1/72 "Wright Field Arrowheads" to put on the fuselage sides and "10" for each side of the tail but you would need to find the other standard markings elsewhere. They state the best starting point is the recent Airfix kits in both scales.  As I only build 1/72 I could be talked out of the 1/48 decals and provide a copy of the article. While you may be able to get a copy of the magazine still, they only printed enough decal sheets for members at the time of issue. The conversion can be done with the Airfix kit but it is some work as you need to change the rear quarter windows to P-36 type ones, take off the wing root leading edge kink, bulge the tail wheel doors and remove the wing guns and associated panels and more as set out in the article. PM me if you are interested...

Bruce

P.S. Contrary to the above the nose is not "really different" from early production P-40s as represented in the kits.... 

Edited by RCAFFAN
  • 2 weeks later...

I was talking about the  XP-40 in final form after the radiator was moved forward as in the picture Scott actually posted, not in the original form as it flew. I assumed Scott wanted to duplicate the plane as shown in the picture he posted not earlier as you are talking about. Both are pictures of XP-40 but at different times and I was going with the original poster's picture as to what he wanted........

Thank you all for your responses.

I am only looking for info on the plane (XP-40) in the picture, not the other XP-40's.

I'm still not sure what changes to make to the Airfix kit though. Perhaps I should kit-bash the Hobby Craft and Airfix kits?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

On 8/12/2018 at 6:05 PM, RCAFFAN said:

I was talking about the  XP-40 in final form after the radiator was moved forward as in the picture Scott actually posted, not in the original form as it flew. I assumed Scott wanted to duplicate the plane as shown in the picture he posted not earlier as you are talking about. Both are pictures of XP-40 but at different times and I was going with the original poster's picture as to what he wanted........

Sorry RCAFFAN,
When I first saw this post, I just read the title and glanced at the photo. Selective viewing! LOL.
I didn't realize there was a XP-40 closer to the production version. Learn something new everyday.
So if you want to do an early XP-40 then no?  :whistle:
Again my apologies.
Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I did a series of XP-40s many years ago. I used the old Hobbycraft P-36 (before they did the P-40). I made a casting of the Mono kit nose (modified to fit) and made several versions of the prototypes from that.

early XP-40.jpg

P-40 proto.jpg

XP-40 early front.jpg