T-65 X-Wing - "Red 5" - Beauty Shots Posted!

I picked this up on the clearance rack at Hobby Lobby along with the Darth Vader TIE fighter. Of course, this is a snap-tite kit, so I wasn't sure what I was getting when I got home. I remember reading reviews on this kit way back when and for the most part, I recall them mostly positive. The kit comes pre-painted in Luke's Red 5 markings. Overall, it looked really good. Good enough for me to decide to leave it as-is. I decided to go with a burnt-umber acrylic wash over all the pieces.

20160826_2220212_zpsag99gre6.jpg

Once dry, I wiped off the excess and sprayed the pieces with dullcoat. This was going to be an in-flight built, so I closed the landing gear doors. The nose had a very good fit. The mains just required both sides be glued together prior to attaching to the lower engine nacelles. I decided to paint the engines Tamiya gunmetal and apply a black wash to enhance the detail. That cannons were washed as well and I painted the two of the cannons rings yellow just to give the model a little more color.

Once everything looked good to my eye, I assembled the kit. Construction is very easy and the fit on this kit was excellent!

received_615924581916214_zpsidugmbps.jpe

In the past, I have scratchbuilt my Death Star tiles. I was trying to get this on ready for a contest and just wouldn't have enough time. I had heard about Shapeways. They sell 3D printed modeling accessories. I went to their website and did a search for "Death Star Tiles". To my surprise, there was all scales of tiles. The ones I decided on didn't have a scale, but are very similar to the tiles included in the Bandai kits.

Here they are laid out. They come white, which makes painting them a breeze.

20160909_171809_zpsup6sobos.jpg

I painted the tiles an overall neutral gray.

20160909_210759_zpsxkxvqnrc.jpg

I applied a black wash to the tiles and glued them to the base.

20160910_011818_zps1nnkgxw8.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE
13 hours ago, toadwbg said:

Finished product looks fantastic.

I'm thinking of getting those Shapways DS tiles also.  they are bit on the expensive side.

You aren't kidding! You almost better off buying your favorite Bandai kits and casting those tiles. At least for the price you get an excellent model and a death star tile.

• 4 months later...