Where oh where is our Hornet replacement?

3 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

...In other words, if Canada buys F-35s they will get them faster than if they order super hornets unless a lot of wrangling is done with the Super Hornets and the USN lets them cut in line. But 3 years is what we are looking at, and F-35 partner nations are going to be setting up squadrons and even have operational squadrons before Canada gets their super hornets. And keeping in mind this is assuming the super hornet order is placed in a timely manner. 

For goodness sakes you have no business bringing common sense into the conversation! I really think there needs to be an ARC gag order put into place post haste and all posts in all threads that clearly illustrate how much better economically and operationally it is to replace the Cf-18's with F-35's be deleted immediately. We can't have facts getting in the way of making a very bad choice by choosing the SH...

There is a capability gap in Canada and it begins and ends at 24 Sussex Drive in Ottawa.

Edited by Don

Actually, Justin perfect hair lives across the street in the Governor Generals cottage (when he is not overseas giving millions away) as 24 Sussex gets ready for Oh....around 80 MILLION in repair. To fix up a historically non relevant residence which could be torn down and replaced with a bigger, modern and much more secure residence for the Prime Minister for a quarter the cost. But there is logic coming into play again.

And no, clearly I did NOT vote for Justin perfect hair either.

Like I've said elsewhere the only difference is the colour of the coat....... Libs are Libs in name....... Cons in red coats....... Orange would have bought F-35 if elected...... 

1 hour ago, Rocketdrvr said:

And let me guess Emvar and Phantom, both of you would prefer the F-35 over the Super any day of the week, right?

Scooby, how about you?  Do you prefer the boondog F-35 as well?

I'm just curious on this one.

Boondog?  Hardly.  The F-35 has proven itself throughout its development.  Have there been problems?  Yes.  Have they been addressed?  Yes.  By far, it brings the most to the table in terms of abilities and systems, as well as cost effectiveness.  The MND has even said that this interim purchase of Super Hornet will cost Canadians more in the long run, but that they have to buy now, only because of a manufactured "capability gap".  The head of the RCAF said he was comfortable in the fact that the CF-18s could safely operate until 2025, so we need to have the "open and transparent" competition now, not five years from now.

9 hours ago, Rocketdrvr said:

And let me guess Emvar and Phantom, both of you would prefer the F-35 over the Super any day of the week, right?

boondog?

you really should take a look at countries that have chosen the F-35 over the Super Hornet. You really should take a look at countries that operate both the Super Hornet and the F-35, countries like Australia and the US that both plan on making the F-35 the primary warplane, with super hornets taking a back seat. You really should look at the US Navy's plan to keep Super Hornets relevant by adding big upgrades and creating reliability on stand off munitions. You really should look at the "Advanced Super Hornet" which was Boeing's attempt at trying to keep up with the F-35. These are all what we would call "clues" in the detective business. I understand that in Canada the F-35 is vilified, what in so many other nations they are going forward with it and confidently betting billions on the F-35. F-35 seems to be the bird that they want, and the fact that the new government basically can't pick because they made a political promise, rather than evidence and investigation tells me there is a boondog alright but its not on the F-35. 

I'll give anybody one chance, maybe even two. But when someone is on their 3rd ugly divorce, I stop blaming the other people they married and focus on the common denominator. 

And thats where this all get darkly comedic. The F-35 is so boondog that the Government of Canada is having to issue gag orders while deleting official government studies, manufacturing a crises to create a need of an "interim aircraft" and delaying a competition? 

Lets have the competition right now, and lets see who comes out on top, and no rigging the game let the chips fall where they may. Seeing as the F-35 has never lost to the Super Hornet I'm feeling pretty confident. F-35 has won every competition its entered. Super Hornet has never won a competition. In every case its been sole sourced. Even Canada is talking about sole sourcing it. Why? 

Israel just ordered another 17, LRIP 10 just got signed that is contracted to build 90 F-35s. LRIP 9 covers 57 F-35s. Canada is going one way and 11 other countries are going the other way. Does that seem a little strange to anyone else?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
9 hours ago, Rocketdrvr said:

Yep F-35 is by far the best bang for the buck..... SH is a waste of money. 

From a model building perspective...... I like SH. 😆

If the Canadian media, especially the CBC, wasn't so completely in bed with JT and actually presented the true hard facts surrounding the F-35 EVERY Canadian truly paying attention would be screaming for the F-35! As its been stated in this thread and elsewhere numerous times, the studies have ALREADY been done, ALREADY been bought and paid for by not only Canada but many other allied nations, and the F-35 NOT the SH is the clear winner on virtually every level. The studies are there for all to read...well most are there for all to read as Junior and his cronies have locked some up, placed a gag order on those in the know, and probably deleted some documents.  But the Canadian media is just parroting what JT and the Libs are saying and outright lying to the Canadian people. It's scandalous for sure and borderline traitorous when you think of the implications for Canada's national defense. Nope, the F-35 is hardly a boondog...now JT and his people...

On 2016-12-03 at 7:39 AM, Emvar said:

Lol......same politics just different colour jacket. Funny how majority governments change when they win. Blues were no better.

The other government cared about the military.

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

The other government cared about the military.

LMAO..... no they didn't or they would have acted. Its all how they presented themselves.......and they had just as much cloak and veil as this one does.

Same coat spray painted red.

I believe you can accept Dons point, that Scooby knows a thing or two about RCAF operations. One or two of us around here have a wee bit more then average knowledge on the topic. Also its common knowledge the current governing party does not always do anything remote to what would be the most cost effective, or even best for our military in general. History of the past couple decades has proven that. Not to say any of us mind a opposing viewpoint. Discussion can be good.

Just as Elmo and I completely disagree about the last "blue" party. Yes, they had issues, but overall, on most days.....except Fridays maybe.......they were not quite so much about optics as the current "red" party..........Orange.......phhht!!!  snicker snicker.

Edited by phantom

Ok kids, lets settle down and stop tossing insults at each other.
I'm sure we can  have a discussion aboot F-35s and Supers without any degree of rancor, right?

I'll be back later to unlock the thread. 

Al P
ARC Moderation Team.

12 hours ago, Emvar said:

LMAO..... no they didn't or they would have acted. Its all how they presented themselves.......and they had just as much cloak and veil as this one does.

Same coat spray painted red.

I don't know what the colors mean but i'll press on anyway. The last government's big problem was basically botching the PR. They really didn't need to make any bold declarations back in 2010. I believe it was they too who also made a rule that the DND and Canadian military could not comment to the press. This robbed the Canadian taxpayer of a chance to see a pilot tell them about the virtues of the F-35 and explain the differences between it and other aircraft. So it became about politics and media coverage the blind leading the blindfolded. (Contrast this with Norway which basically confronted criticisms head on.) The only Canadian in a flight suit the public was exposed to was Billy Flynn, who worked for LM and was thus considered "tainted" by virtue of his employer despite being a well regarded  Canadian combat test pilot with an impressive resume, and a Canadian patriot through and through. The Harper government was not "fast and loose" with the truth about the F-35 Because there was plenty of news that was not bad. They did a huge study by KPMG on the F-35 and what it would cost womb to tomb, but then did not do a comparative analysis with another aircraft leaving the Canadian public in sticker shock, with no other prices to measure against. SEVERAL other analysis's were undertaken and never shared with public, Analysis that proved without doubt the F-35 was superior.

So there were a lot of missed opportunities and the more quiet they got, the worse the problem became. The silence was taken to mean that there was truth to the allegations.  F-35 was bound by truth as it was officially the canadian pick, in the meantime other manufacturers could invent what they wanted. Dassualt told Canada they could build a Rafale factory, Boeing claimed a super hornet cost 55 million, Saab said a Gripen NG only cost $5,000 a year to operate. They simply went straight to the media and just told whatever whoppers they wanted. 

Its just too bad that someone...anyone...in the Canadian media wouldn't start asking the big questions, the hard questions, questions based on the facts that are out there surrounding the F-35. If they (CDN media) can't get answers from the Canadian Government due to Liberal Government imposed gag orders or locked files then go elsewhere. The facts are out there in reports bought and paid for by other nations who have selected the F-35 over all other available aircraft. Make/force the Defense Minister and Junior to really and truly answer the hard questions. Don't let them off the hook so easily like have been doing. But they (media) don't and they haven't and they in all likelihood won't because they're all lusting over JT. So the sheeple who only pay half-hearted attention or no attention whatsoever just parrot back what JT and the CDN media say/write. Hence the way off and flat out false anti-F-35 comments made by posters in most of the CDN media articles. The F-35 is losing the media war in Canada...perhaps its already lost said war? This is indeed too bad because the real losers will be the Canadian tax payers (the same ones who are so strongly opposed to the F-35...) and of course the members of the Canadian Military specifically the RCAF.

2 hours ago, Don said:

Its just too bad that someone...anyone...in the Canadian media wouldn't start asking the big questions, the hard questions, questions based on the facts that are out there surrounding the F-35. If they (CDN media) can't get answers from the Canadian Government due to Liberal Government imposed gag orders or locked files then go elsewhere. The facts are out there in reports bought and paid for by other nations who have selected the F-35 over all other available aircraft. Make/force the Defense Minister and Junior to really and truly answer the hard questions. Don't let them off the hook so easily like have been doing. But they (media) don't and they haven't and they in all likelihood won't because they're all lusting over JT. So the sheeple who only pay half-hearted attention or no attention whatsoever just parrot back what JT and the CDN media say/write. Hence the way off and flat out false anti-F-35 comments made by posters in most of the CDN media articles. The F-35 is losing the media war in Canada...perhaps its already lost said war? This is indeed too bad because the real losers will be the Canadian tax payers (the same ones who are so strongly opposed to the F-35...) and of course the members of the Canadian Military specifically the RCAF.

I would say it was on the ropes in terms of the media war but there are Canadians here who seem to see things in a better light despite the press. The F-35 has also hit several undeniable milestones, and has even added nations to the list of orders since the "reset" at the end of 2012

I feel like the Canadian perspective is really insular. Even JT saying "it doesn't work!" why does the US have it in service then? They and partners just ordered a combined 150 airplanes with LRIP 9 and 10. Contrast that with about 24 a year from the Super Hornet line and thats one of the bigger ones-- Rafales are churned out at about 11 last year. There are already more F-35s built than Rafales total. So all of that doesn't matter?  I think too many Canadians think of this as a us vs them, IE the US imposing itself, or that Canada has unique requirements or environmental conditions that no one else has to deal with which is I'm sorry to say is utterly untrue. The US operates both Super Hornets and F-35s, its not a mystery. We know what each can do and balanced with perspective of development programs the F-35 has been better in some areas, and worse than others. But its well above standards and clearly going forward. 

What people value is what they spend their money on. Why is everyone else moving forward at speed with F-35? why are they spending billions? It seems really obvious. Even if you are not privy to all the classified info the fact that so many countries are going forward with it seems very notable. Oh so we should buy it just because everyone else is!? no there are many other great reasons, but even if that was the key reason... well. Yes. Those are your allies. Those are your defence partners. If Canada wants to leave NORAD or NATO, fine but make it official and just end it, instead of staying in the club but not pulling the weight. 

JT seems to be pushing forward with the interim with shady practices, and I really hope that they put the breaks on and people get a chance to see whats in this before its passed and a multi billion dollar contract gets rammed through. I would think at the very least some cost comparisons and alternatives should be presented. At which point let the chips fall where they may, but there should at least be an honest accounting. Oh well if it doesn't happen the gag orders and document removals speak volumes enough already. And again, we have seen this movie before. Some people are just determined to hurt themselves. 

TT,

Just a few thoughts, to back  POV's up here

The USN operates F-18E/F and F-35C as the order of things saw (by the mid/late 90's) the USN needing a replacement to the venerable F-14 Tomcat which though served ably  were costly and complex jets to  maintain and repair and as such with time they were failing badly from availability standards. Legacy Hornets were also getting long in the tooth with air frame  hours. The F-18C/D  line was ending/ended. The JSF was still a number of years away but the USN needed a competent aircraft that will  fill carrier ops needs from say 2003- current times. Boeing  re-engineered the  F-18 into the Super Hornet. Great it's  a very competent  aircraft and serves  the USN ably today. The USN knew even as S/H was coming online that   it will get F-35C and  with USMC get F-35B to  highly compliment the now existing and tried and true F-18E/F.

Foot dragging Canada (well it's govt. and I will blame  both major parties  for doing this at  times though the Libs seem  worse at it) allows them to save investing money into a proper and prudent  defence infrastructure (that way they  can p*ss money  away on pet projects). We seem to always put Canada into  some   defence infrastructure crisis which often drives up inevitable  costs.  Maybe it is partly due to  sharing the continent  with the USA and as such we know the US   will defend Canada  (well to be fair its interest in us) if the proverbial  $hit hits the fan. BUT! much like  the Euro leeches   do too with NATO where most under fund  their  agreed to by contract financial responsibilities. President elect Trump is  right about that. But we need not cry for the USA as it  enjoys great domestic and foreign  sales of military  gear  regardless. But in that  a President Trump sees this disparagement in costs spent with allies and maybe then demands more from them/us. But our current  cuck PM  will likely be out of  step  with him.

No matter what any Canadian  feels  and often the smug, self-righteous Canucks, it is never a  good thing  for our PM  and government to be  too  out of step  with the POTUS   and US government. No, Canadians and our leaders  should not just kiss U.S. butt. But we should be on a  similar political page  in  intergovernmental affairs, policies including mutual defence (aka: NORAD and NATO) policies, other economic policies and ideals.

Foot dragging our inevitable purchase of combat jets to serve our most  basic needs  for the next  30-40 years is STUPID! F-35 is proving likely the best choice. A mixed fleet of (18) F-18E/F and (what number ???) F-35A may be a long term  acceptable option but probably not cheaper in the end. A full fleet of F-18E/F will likely be a workable choice, depending on how many we then buy but not likely the  best over 30-40 years.  But foot dragging will not save us money IMO.

Canadian politics on  defence policies  and procurement has been often quite mentally retarded since the 1960's IMO!:rolleyes:

This is funny...waaay too funny. I haven't laughed this hard in awhile, but at the same time I have never shook my head on so many comments in here. 

It's interesting to see the POV without any knowledge of the situation. I'm not slinging anything at anybody...it's why I wear the uniform so opinions maybe given in a free state without infringing on your rights as a free citizen. But...it's funny to read.

I encourage the continued talks here, free speech and all...It's interesting to see all the speculation and some of the POV who are regarded as having some knowledge of the situation; when they really don't.

It's kinda intriguing in some aspects, how times have changed and policies/money/technology and particularly how the political winds blow and what direction the wind comes from. Spin this with POV and how they think things work and how things should go. But it all boils down to this...

Its your opinion

YOU might not like it - too bad; it's theirs and the Constitution says they can have one.

My opinion...doesn't matter, I'm here to read the speculation and try to figure out who has common sense and who is just BSing their way through this without any real solid knowledge of the situation ( I can see you people ), however they make me laugh too.

At the end of the day - Have 4 F/A-18Es to dust off, and some people to go talk too to get the drawings for the Canadian markings to make my kits. Oh by the way...we should be discussing what Sqn markings we would like to see. I would like to see 428 Sqn - Skull in a Bag - Ghost Sqn. Why:

11 Battle Honors

Initially Bomber Sqn, earned its designation through it's night attacks and the devastation they created to the enemy forces.

Converted after the war to a all-weather sqn.

F/A-18E - an all weather day/night capability ac.

428 Sqn - To the very End - seems fitting, would be the last Hornet Sqn in the RCAF - possibly in the world as we like to keep our ac for a very long time.

PS if you participate...provide good reasonable substantiation, and NO reactivation of any or past Hornet Sqns ( I would love to have 416 Sqn back BTW). Go research something "new".

Image result for 428 Sqn

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
1 hour ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

This is funny...waaay too funny. I haven't laughed this hard in awhile, but at the same time I have never shook my head on so many comments in here. 

It's interesting to see the POV without any knowledge of the situation. I'm not slinging anything at anybody...it's why I wear the uniform so opinions maybe given in a free state without infringing on your rights as a free citizen. But...it's funny to read.

From you in the above thread:

Don't just say you think it's wrong, [provide substantiation on why...

Looking forward to hearing your response.

Surely you are the only one in uniform as well...

I encourage the continued talks here, free speech and all...It's interesting to see all the speculation and some of the POV who are regarded as having some knowledge of the situation; when they really don't.

[provide substantiation on why...

It's kinda intriguing in some aspects, how times have changed and policies/money/technology and particularly how the political winds blow and what direction the wind comes from. Spin this with POV and how they think things work and how things should go. But it all boils down to this...

Its your opinion

YOU might not like it - too bad; it's theirs and the Constitution says they can have one.

My opinion...doesn't matter, I'm here to read the speculation and try to figure out who has common sense and who is just BSing their way through this without any real solid knowledge of the situation ( I can see you people ), however they make me laugh too.

Don't think anyone was arguing constiitional free speech...

Good to know you are the arbiter of all things truth while not adding anything.  We are all very impressed. rest assured 

Standing by for detailed responses based on you wearing the uniform and actual knowledge and facts rather than the childish "LOL you are all wrong, because i say so" You have the platform, speak on it. 

looking forward to your response. Eager to hear how so many of my friends in the RCAF and others up north could be so wrong. 

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

More news:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/liberals-fighter-jet-capability-gap-becomes-a-credibility-gap-says-conservative-defence-critic

Conservative Party defence critic James Bezan submitted this opinion piece on the Liberal government’s decision to purchase Super Hornet fighter jets as an interim measure to deal with what they say is a fighter aircraft capability gap:

By James Bezan

As the Liberals attempt to rationalize their sole-source deal of Boeing’s Super Hornet fighter jets, their credibility gap on the file continues to widen.

Justin Trudeau’s credibility on the issue first took a hit when he made an impossible campaign promise. He committed to holding an open and fair competition to replace Canada’s CF-18 fighter jets while simultaneously excluding the F-35. Aside from the fact that this promise is self-contradicting; to directly inject politics into a decision of this magnitude is disheartening.

In June, the National Post revealed that the Liberals intended to purchase an interim fleet of fighter jets to fill a so-called ‘capability gap’. However, in April, Lieutenant-General Hood, the Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force, confirmed to Members of Parliament that Canada’s fleet of CF-18s are able to meet our current NORAD and NATO commitments and will be able to do so confidently until 2025.

The day before the Liberals announced their intention to enter into negotiations with Boeing, officials from the Department of National Defence reconfirmed Lieutenant-General Hood’s comments in writing.

However, in a recent Senate appearance before the Senate, Lieutenant-General Hood attempted to clarify the government’s position, confirming what critics had long expected – the Liberals created their own capability gap. Prior to concluding the Liberals’ Defence Policy Review, Prime Minister Trudeau gerrymandered the policy of jet requirements to fit with his own political views.

The commander of the RCAF was not privy to the decisions behind this policy change as it was a purely political move enforced by the Prime Minister’s office.

By purchasing the Super Hornets now, the Liberals have jeopardized any hope of a fair competition moving forward. Of course with 18 of their jets already purchased by the Government of Canada, Boeing will have a guaranteed edge over any competitor.

The Liberals have promised to launch a five-year ‘open and transparent’ process to replace the entire fleet of fighter jets. Experts agree this amount of time is unnecessary. In fact, The Netherlands, Norway, and South Korea each ran an open and fair competition for their fighter jets and not one lasted more than two years.

Not only is the Liberals’ decision to sole-source the Super Hornet unnecessary, their approach to the process has been unethical.

In the lead up to the Liberal’s announcement, Boeing representatives appeared to have been given preferential access to Cabinet Ministers. Lobbyists from Boeing met with members of the government seven times more often than any of their competitors. Other companies had their meeting requests denied.

To make matters worse, Prime Minister Trudeau is forbidding federal employees from speaking out against this cynically political process. He has placed an unprecedented life-time gag-order on all 235 individuals working on the Future Fighter Capability Project. This is a blatant attempt on the part of the Liberals to silence their own critics so that they can move ahead with this politicized partisan procurement.

This uninformed campaign promise could also impact Canada’s reputation as a reliable ally. As more than 10 of Canada’s allies have committed to 5th generation fighters in the F-35, Canada will be one of the last developed nations to be flying 4th generation

fighters.

With fewer capabilities and less in common with our allied partners, the RCAF will be less likely to be called upon for international operations.

A key component of the Liberal’s misguided campaign promise was that they would buy a cheaper alternative to the F-35. But we don’t know the price of the Super Hornets.

Prime Minister Trudeau is giving Boeing a blank cheque. Operating an interim fleet comes with significant additional costs on infrastructure, training, and maintenance.

If the Liberals continue with their commitment to operate a mixed fleet of fighters, the RCAF’s capabilities and interoperability will be reduced for years to come. The Liberal’s plan would force our current fleet of fighters to fly beyond their current 2025 life expectancy into 2030, which the Department of National Defence has accessed as a high-risk option.

This highlights the Prime Minister’s naïve approach to the needs of our military and his inability to manage our country’s finances. Earlier this month Kuwait purchased 40 Super Hornets at $335 million apiece, five times more expensive than the $65 million the Liberals promised during the election.

In addition to hitting every taxpayer’s pocketbook, the Liberals’ political strategy could cost thousands of Canadian aerospace workers their jobs. There are currently 70 companies across Canada that have already benefited from over $1 billion worth of contracts under Lockheed Martin’s F-35 program. If executed, the Liberals’ sole-sourced deal with Boeing could put these jobs in jeopardy.

By ignoring the experts, in a desperate attempt to fulfill a campaign promise, the Liberals have created a political mess of their own doing. Prime Minister Trudeau needs to acknowledge that fighter jets are not just for simply ‘whipping out to show how big they are’. They serve an integral part in maintaining our national security and sovereignty, and are essential to our status as a reliable ally.

The Prime Minister needs to realize that this decision is larger than himself. He should listen to the experts and cancel this sole-sourced deal before his credibility gap has consequences for Canadian taxpayers, aerospace workers, and our military.

1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

looking forward to your response. Eager to hear how so many of my friends in the RCAF and others up north could be so wrong. 

He probably can't say anything because he's one of the 200+ people who had to agree to lifetime gag orders.

42 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

The fun just never ends. What to believe anymore? As one of the people that will be funding all of this, I would appreciate a few straight answers from my government. I had to take the battery out of my BS detector because it wouldn't stop.

Why aren't the BIG newspapers making more of all of this? The average citizen just shuffles along....life as normal and remains unaware. Quiz some of the regular people around you and you will hear very few informed opinions.

My rant for today.