Where oh where is our Hornet replacement?

Good afternoon all

After so much Bla,Bla,Bla about replacing the Hornet, I hear nothing. To quote Schultz, "I see nothing". Has this become a forgotten issue? Is anybody picking up any intel that I am unaware of? It was a big topic not so long ago.

Cheers

Paul

Its going to be typical un-named way left of centre politics. Nothing in the news until someone dies in a crash due to airframe old age issues. Just like the Labrador/Sea King stuff.

By the time they "get of the pot" (ya get that!!!!???) The Super Hornet will no longer be in production and we will be forced to by the Rafele or something so we don't break Justin perfect hairs word of not buying the CF-35.

I'm going to give another ARCer a chance to answer this question because he has some interesting insights.

But the head of the JSF program recently visited Canada and I'm willing to bet he put a lot of rumors to rest within the halls of the decision makers

But you guys do have weed to worry about

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
Pot

I wish they would shelve the universal child care idea.  Maybe parents should stay home if they have kids and if they can't afford to do that.....then perhaps rethinking becoming parents.  My wife and I both worked half time when our kids were pre-schoolers.

This country is so overdue for military equipment it hurts to think about it.  Our navy lacks ships in a  serious way.....I marvel when I see a CDN Seaking flying and the CF-18's are long past their due date.

Lol...... I hope the pot legislation goes through.......more tax revenues and less expenses on incarnation of irrelevant folks. Libs here are no different than Cons... just a different sort of dictator. F-35 will be the weapon of choice. Shoulda voted NDP.......we would have them now........lol. no politiks right?

As much as the F-35 makes seems logical, as does the F-18F in other ways I really think we might not get either one. One party campaigned against getting the 35 and won.  They don't want to appear weak. At the same time as there has been no news we might end up to late to the party to buy the 18F.

No oil revenues with no pipe lines , means less tax money to pay for the planes. Let alone the new ships which are even in much bigger need of purchase. The military is always the ones that suffer when this is happening.

The can will just get kicked further down the road because "sunny" doesn't want to make a potentially damaging decision that may cost him re-election. Instead he'll focus on other stuff, much of which is meaningless like the pot fixation, to keep the sheeple happy and ensure that he will get a second term.

2 hours ago, Don said:

The can will just get kicked further down the road because "sunny" doesn't want to make a potentially damaging decision that may cost him re-election. Instead he'll focus on other stuff, much of which is meaningless like the pot fixation, to keep the sheeple happy and ensure that he will get a second term.

Hi im your new boss, to make that palatable, here is legal weed. maybe he is more self aware than I thought

4 hours ago, phantom said:

As much as the F-35 makes seems logical, as does the F-18F in other ways I really think we might not get either one. One party campaigned against getting the 35 and won.  They don't want to appear weak.

Weakness is making big claims without all the facts and then having too much pride to change your mind when you learn the real facts.

Which one could say has already happened as Canada has yet to withdraw from the program and is still taking meetings with the program people. it's been a year Justin, pull the trigger already. you want to disclude the F-35 make it official, honey.

Lastly, it's been made fairly clear that there are huge legal implications (the PM isn't above the law), and of course the contradictions of an "open" competition that is closed to the competitor most likely to win. 

Which has set up this whole paradox. they can't run a competition because the F-35 would win. they cant sole source anything because it would take an evaluation that the F-35 would win. they can't exclude the F-35 because it would be illegal (not to mention not liked by 11 other air forces, most of whom are allied with Canada)  

Canada is telling us they are edging near a process to decide the process that will determine the CF-18 replacement. yes, they are deciding on how they will eventually decide. but they haven't decided yet lol

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
13 hours ago, SBARC said:

I wish they would shelve the universal child care idea.  Maybe parents should stay home if they have kids and if they can't afford to do that.....then perhaps rethinking becoming parents.  My wife and I both worked half time when our kids were pre-schoolers.

This country is so overdue for military equipment it hurts to think about it.  Our navy lacks ships in a  serious way.....I marvel when I see a CDN Seaking flying and the CF-18's are long past their due date.

We did this also with our kids. I retired early to stay home and look after things. Wifey had a golden insurance plan and daycare was like another mortgage payment. When I see how many countries have got the F-35 and how many more than we quibble over, I shake my head.

Just in that kind of mood today after a visit to my LHS to hear that they fear that costs of doing business in this Province may overshadow profits causing less motivation to continue.

Paul

1 hour ago, MacStingy said:

Just in that kind of mood today after a visit to my LHS to hear that they fear that costs of doing business in this Province may overshadow profits causing less motivation to continue.

Paul

Is this a direct result of the child care, economy, taxes or all of the above. I'm not Canadian so I don't know how it works

Direct result of the provincial taxes. The federal ones are not that hot either. But our provincial "leader" has really badly damaged the pockets of everyone around here. As in the highest debt on EARTH of a non sovereign government. 

I have a three year old - I'm really not sure what this universal child care idea is.  I pay, as someone else described, the equivalent of a mortgage payment monthly for child care.  My wife and I both have to work to cover the mortgage, hydro (a real killer in Ontario), gas for heating, car payments, House upkeep etc.  Etc.  Etc.  We also both want to work and because we only have one child we feel by going to daycare she gets to socialize with other kids and do things she wouldnt get at home.   

As for that shop, I would suspect that like all small businesses in the modern age their problems are a combination of "the costs of business" going up (rent, utilities, taxes etc ) as well as the internet changing the economic model of everything.   I can buy a kit cheaper from a store in Japan and with shipping it can be half the price I see in local shops. The value of the Canadian dollar is the biggest factor there.    I would love to support local stores but my $ are limited so I have to do what is best for me 

as for Super Hornets or Rafales or F-35 - I've read the government is ramping up to set the rules for a competition.  But in typical government procurement style my bet is two years before we see that then another 5 or so before it's ready to buy anything.   I say this having been part of government procurement projects - as the technical subject expert not the procurement manager.  The new fixed wing SAR procurement took 12 years and four revisions to get traction and it's still months away from a decision.  Military equipment and infrastructure procurement in Canada is heavily reliant by law on Public Works department procurement processes.  They are the ones to blame for delays 

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

... our provincial "leader" has really badly damaged the pockets of everyone around here. As in the highest debt on EARTH of a non sovereign government. 

WOW! Now that just sounds like one giant kick in the man berries!!! My condolences...seriously!

20 hours ago, Emvar said:

Lol...... I hope the pot legislation goes through.......more tax revenues and less expenses on incarnation of irrelevant folks. Libs here are no different than Cons... just a different sort of dictator. F-35 will be the weapon of choice. Shoulda voted NDP.......we would have them now........lol. no politiks right?

More tax dollars in the hands of politicians means more debt they will create for us.

Our courts don't punish those who drink and drive and cause carnage on the roads. I can just imagine what our roads will be like when pot is legalized.

14 hours ago, phantom said:

As much as the F-35 makes seems logical, as does the F-18F in other ways I really think we might not get either one. One party campaigned against getting the 35 and won.  They don't want to appear weak. At the same time as there has been no news we might end up to late to the party to buy the 18F.

No oil revenues with no pipe lines , means less tax money to pay for the planes. Let alone the new ships which are even in much bigger need of purchase. The military is always the ones that suffer when this is happening.

Agree, the CF-18 will be the last fight the RCAF will fly.

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

More tax dollars in the hands of politicians means more debt they will create for us.

Our courts don't punish those who drink and drive and cause carnage on the roads. I can just imagine what our roads will be like when pot is legalized.

In BC the drinking / driving laws are quite strict and pot falls under the same laws....driving impaired.

17 hours ago, phantom said:

Now there's an idea.  Allow Canada to build a new oil pipeline to the US to supply their vast military with an insatiable thirst for hydrocarbons, and we'll spend billions of dollars on US fighter jets.  No pipeline?  I guess the Dassault Rafale doesn't look so bad afterall! 

7 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Now there's an idea.  Allow Canada to build a new oil pipeline to the US to supply their vast military with an insatiable thirst for hydrocarbons, and we'll spend billions of dollars on US fighter jets.  No pipeline?  I guess the Dassault Rafale doesn't look so bad afterall! 

You just havn't gotten to know Rafale then lol

7 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

You'll finally get that Delta winged fighter you've been wanting since the 1950s ;)

I don't know if I have posted this since the great ARC shut down of 2016, but this is the most comprehensive history of the CF-18 replacement up to now and is well worth the read. 

http://www.cdainstitute.ca/images/Vimy_Papers/Vimy_Paper_33.pdf

Tells it like it is without that Canadian Media spin (and Canadians you are being spun on the F-35) If you are Canadian, want to know about the CF-18 replacement or both, click the above link. 

On 11/1/2016 at 11:44 PM, SBARC said:

File under "Let them eat cake" perhaps?  I'm not Canadian but from my perspective, universal child care would be a blessing.  I'd have no problem with the US (which is the most heavily militarized country on the planet) shelving a major weapons system in order to provide this to it's citizens.   Pretty sure we could pull it off and still not have ISIS/Chinese/Russian hordes marching down Main St USA.  

I'm paying close to a mortgage payment each month for my 4 year old daughter's day care.  As much as both my wife and I would love to work half days to be with her, our employers would frown on that just a bit.  Both of us are professionals and are pretty well compensated but we don't have the luxury of simply having one of us quit our job for 6 years to be a full time parent.  Come to think about it, I don't know a single family that has a stay-at home parent, even on a half-time basis.  Everyone works.