Where oh where is our Hornet replacement?

7 hours ago, MacStingy said:

Article says between 5 and 7 billion. Pfft...what's a billion here or there? Why is this kind of information buried and not picked up by the media on a wider basis? This kind of extravagant waste should be accountable. Don't mind the smoke coming out of my ears.

It's a little "perturbing" to me to see the previous government, and the military and governmental choice with the F-35 raked over the coals and even the feature of long winded documentaries by the CBC, but this is seemingly given a pass. This is technically more shady than what Harper's "F-35 scandal" ever was and I'm not saying that as a fan of F-35 or of Harper. The simple fact is the Canadian air force and the DND did literally years worth of studies, and even formed the "national fighter secreteriat" to review the entire program along with the Independent KPMG review. In other words the F-35 sole source that was "shoved down Canadas throat" had far far more processing and assessment and support and evidence behind it.

Even the original "scandal" basically boiled down to the beauracrats only assessing what the F-35 would cost for 20 years, rather than 42. It wasn't a "cover up" it was with the notion that you can't really predict what a gallon of JP will cost in 2043, so rather than making a prediction to that distance, they did the more accurate 20 year measure. 

Even more to the point it was assessed years ago that a dual fighter fleet was going to be prohibitively expensI've. Which is the new path. In fact it could be 3 fighter fleets at one point... 

So you BUY not lease. But BUY super Hornets, then keep them for a ridiculously short time (12 years) or you keep a dual fleet for longer than that vastly increasing expense over time and scrap them when their hours run up and don't extend or upgrade then. 

Massive waste of money

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I miss the Royal Canadian Air Farce, they used to mock anyone in Ottawa. Or anywhere else, actually. 
22 Minutes does a pretty good job at times, and Rick Mercer used to rip some nasty holes in PMs, regardless of their affiliation.

Alvis 3.1

Edited by Alvis 3.1
On 2/4/2017 at 9:51 PM, Alvis 3.1 said:

I miss the Royal Canadian Air Farce, they used to mock anyone in Ottawa. Or anywhere else, actually. 
Alvis 3.1

I agree 100%!!!  I miss the Air Farce.

13 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

They just bailed out bombardier as well. Funny how price is no object when it comes to that. 372 million. 

if i was to lend you 20$ , would you consider it as "bailed out"... that kind of comments shows how you're biased... and not so well informed...

372 million aren't what Bombardier was needing... (it needs a new, less crooked owner) ...and to keep it related to this topic: how much more Super Hornet could we have get with those 372 million? :monkeydance:

1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

They just bailed out bombardier as well. Funny how price is no object when it comes to that. 372 million. 

Their government threw some money at a major domestic employer to help ensure their long term survival?  Shocking... such a waste.   Glad that would never happen down here. 

Besides, you get so much better return on the dollar via military spending. 

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Their government threw some money at a major domestic employer to help ensure their long term survival?  Shocking... such a waste.  

5 hours ago, mingwin said:

if i was to lend you 20$ , would you consider it as "bailed out"... that kind of comments shows how you're biased... and not so well informed...

372 million aren't what Bombardier was needing... (it needs a new, less crooked owner) ...and to keep it related to this topic: how much more Super Hornet could we have get with those 372 million? :monkeydance:

you two should talk. get your story straight. Ming is telling me its a loan, 11bee is telling me they need it for survival. 

Lemme know what you two decide. :stooges:

Ahem.
This is the voice from Control. This is the regularly scheduled "NO POLITICS" warning shot. The first one goes over the heads, the second one goes into the thread lock button. I've got crappy aim, so it might accidentally hit the "Justin Bieber Auto Play" function. I gotta admit, some days, that Bieber Button looks pretty large.

You don't want me to do that.

Al P
ARC Bieber Fan Club Paymaster and Moderation team T Shirt Sales rep.

Edited by Alvis 3.1
9 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

you two should talk. get your story straight. Ming is telling me its a loan, 11bee is telling me they need it for survival. 

Lemme know what you two decide. :stooges:

Bombardier is certainly in need of some (more) financial support for it's survival. sure, it has to comply with all international agreements (WTO) and that's may be why the federal government goes with a loan. (yeah, the kind of load we would all just dreamed of, for sure! so, indeed, the word loan might be stretched a little...(i haven't had the chance to see the details...)) Bombardier would have "needed"  something like 1.3bn Canadian dollars from the federal government. so they are 1 billion short. 

that being said, i understand Trudeau not being keen to satisfy Bombardier's financial requests entirely, as the leadership of the Bombardier-Beaudoin family is highly problematic.

11 hours ago, Alvis 3.1 said:

Ahem.
This is the voice from Control. This is the regularly scheduled "NO POLITICS" warning shot. The first one goes over the heads, the second one goes into the thread lock button. I've got crappy aim, so it might accidentally hit the "Justin Bieber Auto Play" function. I gotta admit, some days, that Bieber Button looks pretty large.

You don't want me to do that.

Al P
ARC Bieber Fan Club Paymaster and Moderation team T Shirt Sales rep.

I seriously don't see how my post about Trudeau stripping the troops of their tax break is political, it was factual.

Heck, If you took out all the political posts, this thread would be about a page long.   Most of what is posted here is nothing more than whining about the Canadian PM, with little/nothing to do with the purchase of jets.  If those comments were directed at an American official, this puppy would have been put to sleep months ago.  Not that it's a big deal, personally I think this has been one of the more humorous threads I've read on ARC in a while. 

On 2017-02-17 at 0:38 PM, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Probably because it wasn't relevant to the topic of the replacement for the CF-18's. 

Very relevant, because Trudeau, and Liberal governments in particular, do not support the Canadian military.

A very honorable man that I served with and a man that loves what is best for this country, is forced to resign his Honorary Colonel position with the RCAF, over his staunch opposition to the Super Hornet purchase.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/laurie-hawn-super-hornets-military-resigns-1.3982416

Laurie Hawn will always be a Colonel to those who had the true honor to serve with him.

Edited by Scooby
29 minutes ago, Scooby said:

A very honorable man that I served with and a man that loves what is best for this country, is forced to resign his Honorary Colonel position with the RCAF, over his staunch opposition to the Super Hornet purchase.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/laurie-hawn-super-hornets-military-resigns-1.3982416

Laurie Haven will always be a Colonel to those who had the true honor to serve with him.

:salute: Col.  Hawn.

I just shake my head, and follow up with  'thump, thump, thump' :bandhead2:

As the old Red Rose Tea  commercial said. "Only in Canada."

Okay, so since there's really not much happening except politics, this thread has ceased to fall within the operating parameters of the ARC General Discussion board.

Al P

ARC thingie whatever stuff.