I encountered this beauty:

LMT0251_1.jpg

I am hoping to build this but I have a few questions. Are this type of body paint jobs really paint or some sort of decal? I am asking this because I wonder whether they chip away and weather naturally or just cleaned by the crew once the show is over.  When I build this I want to weather it heavily maybe chip away some of the art so wondering if that was possible...

If anyone has a weathered (current) picture of this bird, that will be great..

I don´t know what they used on the Oregon Eagle, but in most cases they use paint, and in other cases, like the Czech Gripen jobs, they use printed vinyl decals. A few years ago the Polish AF painted one of their vipers in a stunning Tiger pattern for the NATO Tiger meet, held in Norway at that time. Unfortunately the paint did not stick too well to the underlying coating, so when the aircraft arrived, the paint was almost entirely gone.

https://theaviationist.com/2013/06/21/ntm-f-16-lose-paint/

My best bet is that the paint does indeed chip, but I also believe that the paint job will be lovingly and carefully maintained as long as the special paint job is to survive. These aircraft are often brought to air shows and are often a symbol of the squadron, or of the air force itself, so no crew chief with any pride in his job, would let the scheme deteriorate. At least if my experience from seeing a lot of specially painted aircraft at air shows is anything to go by. 
If a specially painted aircraft end up in a museum however.. 

21 hours ago, markiii said:

Great Wall Hobby is releasing their F-15C kit with those markings :thumbsup:

I know! hence my interest :)

14 hours ago, scotthldr said:

I think the Oregon jet was a mix of paint on the forward and upper surfaces with vinyl wrap on the vertical stabilizers. 

I think you are right! So probably tail arts were very short lived..

I really wished a current picture of this bird existed..