The first fully navalised mk 4 flew very recently - details and pics on Royal Navy website. Does anyone know if an aftermarket company is intending to do an update set with decals for the Airfix 1/48 Merlin to change it to the new Navy version?

Edited by Stealthman
On 03/11/2016 at 6:49 PM, phantomdriver said:

The RN has operated "Grey" Merlins for a number of years, if you are referring to the upgraded version, then I'd also like to see a conversion..

Belcher etc, are you listening?

I'm referring to the former Army airframes now being navalised as the new Junglies. The first seven airframes had a partial conversion which included folding rotor blades, but the first fully navalised airframe including folding tail has only just flown in a new USMC grey scheme instead of the traditional green. The Airfix 1/48 kit is the perfect base for a great update/conversion.

Edited by Stealthman
52 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

and those you refer to are HC3/HC3a....

HC4 being designated for Chinooks...

There were also Chinook HC3s. Each aircraft type has its own version designation, Chinooks being HC 1-6, and Merlin HC 1-4 so far. I know that the initial version of the Merlin is not HC 1, but something alse which I cannot think of at this moment in time, but you get what I mean.

On 06/11/2016 at 4:28 AM, phantomdriver said:

and those you refer to are HC3/HC3a....

HC4 being designated for Chinooks...

It's that super intuitive UK military aviation alpha/numberic convention - you need the name to know which airframe you're talking about.