Air-launched Cruise missile (scratch-build)

Hi all,

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding my current build: scratch-building a 1:48 air-launched cruise missile, modern-era, but indigenous (no kit manufacturer), as a stand-alone model, not afixed to any aircraft (not yet anyway). The build itself is pretty much going ahead fine, it is simplicity itself (not many parts!) and i progressively make minor adjustments as i go along.

Specifically, i would be grateful for any ideas on the following points (and reference photos of suggestions also highly appreciated :)

Colours:

What are exact colours on cruise missiles? For example, some experimental or demonstration variants are red, yellow or black/white colours. Not a fan of experimental variants. I would prefer the following options: Maybe gloss-white/insignia white overall colour scheme, to be as close to actual out-of-factory colour scheme? Or a grey/camo grey, more in line with Operational ordnance? Or field drab/dark drab or depending on paint scheme of aircraft?

Decals:

Anyone have ideas on what decals to add, in view to make this ALCM really stand out? Especially considering 2 versions of warheads, thermobaric and nuclear.

Initially, i didn't want to even think about decals (mainly because this is an indigenous/no kit manufacturer build), but in the end, i want this to be original but still stand out.

Markings/details:

Every now and then, there are some tiny additional details, which give it a story. Any ideas/suggestions?

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

If you're talking about the AGM-86, it doesn't have a thermobaric warhead, just a conventional warhead.

Thank you Sarathi, for the precision, and it is well noted. Actually, my build is indigenous (not AGM-86).

• 6 months later...

For your view, the completed build of my scratchbuilt 1:48 scale Air-launched cruise missile, (attached pics, and description below)

01light.jpg

02light.jpg

03light.jpg

06light.jpg

Origin/Design
This stand-off Air-Launched Cruise Missile is of my own design, with some curved areas improving aerodynamic flight, and is loosely based on various fuselage designs (Naval Strike Missile of KDA/Raytheon, SCALP/Storm Shadow, and ASMP). This is a 1:48 scale, making the actual length 4.6m long. It has a variable sub-to-supersonic capability.  Since my ACLM is indigenous (scratch-built, no kit), I am code-naming it: “SHARUR”, meaning "smasher of thousands", from Sumerian mythology, an enchanted mace weapon and mythic symbol of the god Ninurta. It is said that the weapon is capable of flying across vast distances and communicate with its wielder.

Propulsion
Turbojet engine is located at the rear of the missile, with an air intake located at the underbelly (towards rear). This ALCM is designed for air-launch only (there is no stage booster). Under Block 1 upgrade, improvement of engine. Under Block 2, a trust-vectoring system/exhaust is added, which obtains ± 5 degrees at subsonic, and ± 3 degrees at supersonic.

Flight control surfaces
Main control surfaces are four control/stab fins located at the tail end. Sustained flight wings deploy after launch and during subsonic flight and fold back during supersonic.

Est. range
Based on similar designs, I estimate max. ranges for this ALCM to be approx. 800 km. at low-subsonic; 550 km at high-subsonic, and 190 km. at full-burn Mach 2.2. A reasonable combination of flight/attack profiles: reach-theater capability or sustained flight; with flexible terminal profile at steep dive or NOE; final (supersonic); should generate an operational range of 425 km.

Electronics/Nav.
Inertial nav, MILGPS satnav, laser datalink and “man-in-the loop” openlink. All nav systems jointly allow for navpoints changes over duration of flight by operator (aircraft) or C5iSTAR (command post), except for final terminal profile. Circular Error Probable (CEP) is: 5-10m radius.

Warhead
Warhead-specific variants are:
SHARUR-Firestarter: Hard-target penetrator + Thermobaric (can be used by all partner countries);
SHARUR-Tremor: 35-kiloton nuclear (restricted use, only France).

Edited by P.B.