Airfix New 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury

Yeah but would it be greedy to ask for a Tempest II with Airfix doing a fillet-less P-51D and a Sea Fury...LOL! But it would be nice!

Cheers!

I am not familiar with the Tempest and Sea Fury aircraft but the Sea Fury looks a lot like the Tempest with the radial engine.  Might it be possible for Airfix to have a Tempest sharing some parts with the Sea Fury?  As for other kits I am betting that Airfix will have a 2 seat night fighter Meteor out at some time.  But back to the Sea Fury, I am excited about this kit and look forward to it.  

Not sure on the Meteor about the two seat option, there is however what looks like a mold insert seam on the inside fuselage core just behind the wing.  The PR 9 just requires a new nose piece, instrument panel etc...so the fuselage mold insert would not be necessary, a Mk 4 would require an all new fuselage so the most logical it might seem would be the two seat fuselage keeping the Mk 8 rear fuselage.  The young design team at Hornby seem at the top of their game and are incorporating future variants in the design of new kits.  Like the Hurricane, it includes the parts for a Sea Hurricane and the way the wing is molded, there might be another wing variant, as might the Spitfire Mk Vb have another wing variant.  But then again I may be seeing things that are not there.  

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎07 at 9:18 AM, aircal62 said:

I am not familiar with the Tempest and Sea Fury aircraft but the Sea Fury looks a lot like the Tempest with the radial engine.  Might it be possible for Airfix to have a Tempest sharing some parts with the Sea Fury?  As for other kits I am betting that Airfix will have a 2 seat night fighter Meteor out at some time.  But back to the Sea Fury, I am excited about this kit and look forward to it.  

The Sea Fury is a development of the Tempest II (which is a radial engine Tempest), originating from a requirement for a lighter Tempest (the Tempest Light Fighter program begat the Fury, which begat the Sea Fury)

Unfortunately, while they look very similar, they share almost no components. The shape of the Sea Fury's fuselage is different (it's humpbacked to raise the cockpit) and the wing is shortened in the centre, which means completely different wing upper & lower sections (also no folding section). IIRC the landing gear is also modified, leaving the compatible bits as some of the oil cooler installation and the tailplanes as the bits which might be reused on a Tempest II or VI (and only the tailplanes on a Tempest V)

On 11/5/2016 at 5:57 PM, KOG7777 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Eduard does a Tempest II after they get around to releasing their re-tooled Tempest V.

Eduard already said they are doing a Mk.II after the V.

13 hours ago, randypandy831 said:

what? Eduard going to release a 1/48 Mk.II tempest? 

Yes, it was announced back in 2015 for release the end of next year. Thought I'm not sure if the II or V is coming first now. It's being jointly developed with the MPM 1/32nd scale kit.

mkii.jpg

zD7dRW9.jpg

Edited by Tbolt