ESSA's Martin B-57A - Airfix 1/72

Good day all,

This is my first posting here with a model (in WIP). I am still struggling with the image servers and the posting, so bare with me...

(sorry for some of the pics captions only in french, but "the pics worth a thousand words" )  ;-)

This is the (very) old Airfix kit of the BAC Canberra which I converted into the US licensed Martin B-57A.
This acft was operated by the US Govt ESSA agency (as presented here) before becoming the NOAA and changing livery.

The following modifications were made to improve the look, but I am not looking for full accuracy (that would require way too much work with this base, and knowledge on the subject which I don't have...) :

- The whole model was engraved based on various dwgs found on the net. Note that the Martin wings are a bit different than BAC ones.

IMG_9185a_zpsnqflsdgu.jpg

- Cockpit - Completely scratchbuilt since the Airfix parts were more of a joke than model parts (except the yoke).

I used Pavla resin seats which were painted and weathered.

img_9052a_zpsifk66aep.jpg

img_9054a_zpsbnko7jpq.jpg

img_9072a_zps6o7yfneo.jpg

img_9076a_zpsonhqfwyl.jpg

- Nose cone - The typical ESSA/NOAA radar (weather ?) was resin casted out of a glass tube spices container, then puttied over once installed to give it its conical shape.

img_9084a_zpsfysjqxkk.jpg

- Wheel wells - The "empty caves" were detailled using Evergreen strips inspired from existing resin sets from various suppliers.

(I later discovered that the Martin wings implies some variation on the wheel bays structure depending on the model (ie WB-57 longer wings)

img_8971a_zpsr9njewsu.jpg

- Landing gears - The NLG was modified to represent Martin's version and accomodate wheels taken from Harrier kit.

The MLG molded with the main doors were kept but sidebrace and actuator were detailled using plastic strips and brass rods.

The main wheels were heavily modified since the hubs are much different than the british Canberra ones.

IMG_9183a_zps2xsnbzvc.jpg

Since I already f'd-up twice the posting, I will hold the rest of the completion on a response post later on.

Thanks for your understanding !

Regards

Alex CL-215 Forever

Hello all,

First, thank you guys for your kind comments.

Here is the rest of the detailled build. 

- Engine intakes were improved using homemade resin inserts. The first compressor stage was made out of a resin copy of the Revell RJ85 fan disc.

Note that on the US version, there are only 4 struts on the intake, plus the one for starter cartridge exhaust (not shown here).
Note seen here, but the engine exhaust were replaced by styrene tubing thinned and cut to dimensions).

img_8973a_zpsuqni3kdq.jpg

The insert was installed and some cut-outs had been be done to accomodate it.

The scoop underneath is made from a piece of square tube and shaped using Bondo putty.

img_8976a_zpsa8czcc2g.jpg

For the assembly of the wings to the fuselage, I had this idea (bad) to paint the fuselage alone, add the wings (primed) and paint the wings only at the end.

Well, as usual... it did not work out as planned...

After mating the wings on the jig, I realized the whole tail was twisted !!! (Thanks Airfix...)

IMG_9194a_zpsahebpeot.jpg

So I took the micro-saw out and cut thru the meat... (handle is removed for clarity) 

IMG_9196a_zpspvux3rl3.jpg

So, I installed few sturdy plastic strips to be able to center the tail back in place...

IMG_9200a_zps7dalzknx.jpg

IMG_9201a_zpsznimzajt.jpg

After the graft, I had to take the model back into the paint booth, for touch up of the affected areas and finish off the wings paint.

The paint is mainly Aluminum and White rattle cans (from Krylon), while various Alclad were used for aluminum shadings.

IMG_9205a_zps1ast2gwq.jpg

IMG_9207a_zpsrswu8jae.jpg

Then It was time for decals (sorry no pictures as I was in a rush to finish the model in due time).

Decals are home made and laser printed on clear decal paper.

(Wally from Oz (the P-3 Roadrunner guy), contact me off the board as I have the decals for you).

Next update will be the completed model in the display section of the forum.

Thanks for your time !

Alex CL-215