Hobby Boss 1/350 Russian Navy Yassen Class SSN

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, parche said:

Wow, beautiful work on your YASEN. Wish I could do "weathering" like that. 

Congratulations on your win. 

Dave

Thanks Dave, and you CAN.  Just coat your base paint job with an acrylic gloss, get out some oils, and weather away.  If you jack it up, just wipe it off!

Here is another one.  2nd place from Orlando IPMS Nationals 2012.

November Class Sub

Edited by DutyCat
Content
7 hours ago, modelmax said:

Gees!  

Gil, that is amazing weathering ma'an!  I will use your november class sub as reference when I weather mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Ernie A.

Thanks.  You are quite welcome.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:57 PM, modelmax said:

Just finished this little kit.  

I really enjoyed it.

Ernie A.

20161001_132520.jpg

20161001_132807.jpg

Nice build. Did you paint your waterline or is it a decal? I was going to try to use some white decal stripes that I have to do it on my second YASEN. Left it off the first one. 

Also, did you trim the "No Push" marking (the big U around the bow). The decal seemed entirely too wide on mine.

Cheers,

Dave

Waterline was sprayed white first, then masked with carefully applied 1/64" graphic arts tape.  I think decals would work fine, except around the curvy areas in the bow and stern where you will surely run into trouble.

About the bow decal...I seem to remember hacking at bit off in the front center, but it has been a couple of years since I built this kit.  At least I now I know what the markings mean!

Yeah the marking indicates where the "soft" areas are for the bow sphere and flank arrays. Since they are close together it is one continuous marking. It is to give the tugs a visual indication so that they don't break the GRP covers.

Dave

On 1/2/2017 at 8:00 AM, parche said:

Nice build. Did you paint your waterline or is it a decal? I was going to try to use some white decal stripes that I have to do it on my second YASEN. Left it off the first one. 

Also, did you trim the "No Push" marking (the big U around the bow). The decal seemed entirely too wide on mine.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

the waterline is painted and yes, I had to trim the no push marking to make it fit somewhat decent.

Ernie A.