Quick Herc question re: drop tanks

No and no.

None of them are drop tanks, not to say that someone somewhere might have made a mod.

While removable, the tanks are not designed or equipped for jettison.

Tanks started with the A model, back when the suffix "A" represented the second variant.   Those are the ones with small tanks outboard of the outboard engines.

The "E" model introduced the large tanks between the engines.

Refuelers have those tanks plus the refueling "tanks" outboard of the engines.

Electronic warfare planes from what I've heard have electronics in the outboard "tanks".

Drone launchers were a mod to the early tankless versions.
Be alert to "specialty" planes having "things" on their outboard "tanks.

here's a few types:

HC-130, we called it King Rescue:

scan0105.jpg

C-130H, my wife's aircraft:

scan0074.jpg

AC-130H Spectre:

scan0189-2_1.jpg

C-130 with the "Roman nose":

scan0050-5_1.jpg

DC-130:

scan0054-5.jpg

Iranian C-130, replacing its pylkon tanks:

scan0018.jpg

I don't know what the heck it is C-130:

scan0020.jpg

The grey and white one is an NC-130A, 60022. It usually flew out of Wright-Patterson AFB with ASD. For those with questions about the wing tanks, the first C-130A models didn't have the 230 gal. wing tanks. They started appearing on the A models from about 1959 or 1960. The B model never had wing tanks as they had enough fuel for tactical missions. The E model need the extra fuel with the wing tanks for longer missions. MATS which later became MAC had two squadrons of C-130Es  and the USN had two more squadrons of Es for the cross the pond missions. The USN later transferred their Es the the USAF. The USN Es had MATS markings with USN squadron markings on the nose. 

The three blade props were wider than the four blade props and provided more maneuverability. So when the three blade props started being replaced, the C-130Ds (A models winterized with skis)  kept their three blade props. I think that the AC-130As might have done the same for a short while but later got the four blade props.

best wishes,

Grant

On the HC-130 / MC-130E / MC-130P the tanks outboard didn't hold fuel. They were hose pods with 93 feet of hose on a hydraulic powered drum and a drogue to refuel helicopters in flight. The MC-130J and HC-130J have new improved hose pods but look the same as the old 1965 pods.