1/48 Revell F-15E Strike Eagle, 90th FS Alaska

Hi all!

Here is my 1/48 Revell F-15E Strike Eagle in 90th FS, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska markings.  This build took me about 2.5 weeks, and I entered it into my very first judged contest.  Won 2nd place in the "1/48 Multi-engine Jets" category.  Very happy with that!

I had heard the Revell F-15E kit was very nice, and boy was that right! This was easily the nicest and best fitting kit I have built so far (this is my 15th).  I am very impressed, too bad there were no bombs included... I had to raid my Hasegawa Weapons Set D for bombs.

I used a combination of Repli-Scale, TwoBobs, and kit stencils for this build.

Here is what I used on this build:

Kit: 1/48 Revell F-15E Strike Eagle

Decals: Repli-Scale (main markings), TwoBobs "Anaconda Squeeze" and OOB (stencils)

Aftermarket: Legend Productions ejection seats, Hasegawa Weapons Set D

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (primer base), Tamiya White Liquid Primer (for pre-shade stippling), Gunze Aqueous H305 FS36118 Gunship Gray (overall basecoat), Gunze Aqueous H317 FS36231 Dark Gull Gray (cockpit), Gunze Aqueous H327 FS11136 Insignia Red (vert tail stripes), Tamiya smoke (post shading), and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, Pale Burnt Metal, Hot Metal Blue, and Jet Exhaust. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. MIG Deep Gray for panel washes.

On to the pics!  I hope you enjoy!

291338-16625-55.jpg

291339-16625-90.jpg

291341-16625-39.jpg

291342-16625-37.jpg

291332-16625-18.jpg

291333-16625-93.jpg

291334-16625-58.jpg

291335-16625-65.jpg

291337-16625-99.jpg

291340-16625-81.jpg

291343-16625-67.jpg

291345-16625-38.jpg

291346-16625-98.jpg

291347-16625-70.jpg

291348-16625-50.jpg

291326-16625-11.jpg

291327-16625-51.jpg

291328-16625-57.jpg

291329-16625-60.jpg

Thanks for looking!

On 11/8/2016 at 0:03 PM, bikerider said:

nice!

Thanks Kevin!

22 hours ago, Whiskey said:

wow very nice and Im not even an eagle fan lol!

Thanks Whiskey!  I am more of an F-14 guy myself.  But I like Eagles too...  :-)

22 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Beautiful, beautiful. Like it!

Thanks Bud, I appreciate that!

21 hours ago, speedlimit said:

Nicely done!

Eric

Thanks Eric!

11 hours ago, lordstripe said:

Great work! I wish I could produce something like that.......and to do it in 2/3 weeks!! :worship:

LOL thanks lordstripe...  I am on a roll when it comes to build times.  Ever since the Hasegawa F-14, I have knocked out the last 3 in like 3 weeks each (Hobby Boss F3H-2, Academy Su-27, and this one).  I think the Hasegawa build made all other builds seem that much easier! hahaha

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

WOW, very well done, congrats.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate that coming from you!

25 minutes ago, Adam1818 said:

Another beauty!! Pretty amazing quality for 15th built

Thanks Adam!  Each one gets a little better, from construction to finishing.  The area I still need to improve the most is construction and seam removal.

25 minutes ago, Nathant said:

Beautiful paint and metallic work! Congrats on the win! How did you find the kit stencils to work with?

Thanks Nathan!  I really had no problems with the kit stencils.  My method of applying decals is this:  I apply an overall coat of future via brush and let it sit for 1 to 2 days.  Then, I brush future on the area to receive the decal.  The future acts as the setting agent for moving the decal in place.  But you can't dally, as it becomes difficult to move the decal around after a couple minutes as it begins to set.  Then, after the decal is in place, I brush a little more future over it.  This helps the carrier film to dissapear, especially after the final matte coat is applied.  The future has a very high surface tension, so it does a fabulous job of settling into panel lines and recesses and over raised areas such as rivets.

On 11/9/2016 at 4:59 PM, Stinger16 said:

Very nicely done Mike, your eagle was beautiful, I'm glad I was able to see it in person. If u ask me, I think it deserved first place in your category, and your su-27 was stunning to

jeff

Thanks Jeff!  I am glad I got to see your models in person as well, and was great meeting you.  I would have liked to have taken first, but 2nd is cool with me.  Just gotta step up my game for next year!

On 11/12/2016 at 5:12 PM, crackerjazz said:

2.5 weeks!  I'll probably need 2.5 years to finish one.   Excellent job, mate!  And congrats!

LOL, thanks bud!  The difference, however, is yours after that time will look like someone took a ray gun and shrunk the real thing down to 1/48th scale, whereas mine is merely a reasonable reproduction of the real thing in miniature.  :-)

4 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

preshading or postshading bro? it really looks AWESOME :thumbsup:

Thanks Alpa!  I used both pre-shading and post-shading.  Pre-shading was done via the "blackbase" method... Using black primer and creating a "stippling" effect using white paint.  Here is a pic of how I did that:

288891-16625-66.jpg

288968-16625-52.jpg

289044-16625-20.jpg

As for post shading, I used Mig Ammo Deep Gray wash for the panel lines and it gives a little added "dirtying" effect, and I used some Tamiya Smoke in strategic places to add a bit of visual interest.

1 hour ago, Beauslx said:

Awesome Strike Eagle! :thumbsup:

Thanks Beau!

7 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Pre-shading was done via the "blackbase" method...

288891-16625-66.jpg

wow I really always LOVED this technique... I'd like to try it soon. Are these the products you used for the preshading?

top.jpg

gunsf288.jpg

which product(s) did you use to thin mr. surfacer black and white surface primer?

thanks.

Edited by Alpagueur
5 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

wow I really always LOVED this technique... I'd like to try it soon. Are these the products you used for the preshading?

top.jpg

gunsf288.jpg

which product(s) did you use to thin mr. surfacer black and white surface primer?

thanks.

Yep, those are the exact products I used.  The Mr Surfacer Black is AWESOME.  If you have never used it before, you will love it.  As for the white, you don't have to use that white.  I only use it because I used to use that as my go-to primer, so I have a lot of it.  LOL  Hell, you don't even have to use white.  Most I have seen actually use a light gray.  But I like using the white as I seem to have  more control over how much of the white I let show through the basecoat.

I thin the Mr Surfacer black with Mr Levelling Thinner and the Tamiya White Surfacer Primer with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner.

31FLJk7w4sL.jpgmjMDJ-Vrs_k7ZvmtBPqNdFA.jpg

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four
29 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

As for the white, you don't have to use that white.  I only use it because I used to use that as my go-to primer, so I have a lot of it.  LOL  Hell, you don't even have to use white.  Most I have seen actually use a light gray.  But I like using the white as I seem to have  more control over how much of the white I let show through the basecoat.

Hey mate thanks. I rather think the white "splitting" is very useful to vary the shades shading... on the wings of your bird i.e. I notice that in certain points the gray 36118 is clearer and in some darker, and that's probably due to white below .. . I like this effect!

anyway could I use, over the black coat, a "normal" Gunze flat white H11 instead of the Tamiya surface White primer? (as I have lots of 'old' H11 bottles....)

Edited by Alpagueur
  • 3 weeks later...

Outstanding work! I was teaching STRYKERs at Ft. Richardson in 2004 and watched those birds taking off out of Elmendorf--we were right near the end of the runway. The vertical takeoff in full burner is an impressive sight to behold!