1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Kitty Hawk - released

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Great news! I reeeeeeaaaaallllyyyyyy hope Kitty Hawk nails this, the Su-34, and Su-17/22. All three are kits I really have wanted to see and will buy if they are at least decent.

Now I really want to see someone do an Su-30SM/MKI/MKM!

+1

More, higher resolution pictures here.

First impressions are good but hard to tell due to the style and resolution of the pictures. The intakes at the base of the vertical stabs are wrong (same size when they should be different sized) and that is basically a tradition to get wrong at this point with flanker kits. Otherwise nothing that sticks out, hopefully they include TVC because they never look like they do in the CAD's when the engines are not on. Hopefully flareboxes on the stinger are separate pieces because those were moved on later production frames to underside.

at first glance, shape of the tails look slightly off. compare to this  ...or to this ... but overall first impression is good, even if it's hard to see anything from those nice, gray over gray over gray renderings.

but if the kit end up correct for the early machines i'd be very pleased, as i've wanted to do bort 901 prototype from the very first time i'd seen it.

here's some 3d renders from an unrelated source. i don't know if shape is "much" better than KH renders(i wouldn't say so), but tails have the look of those of the Su-35S

Edited by mingwin

Hmm, dont see what you mean regarding the vertical stabs (other than the intakes as i have pointed out), looks fine as far as i can tell;

14940104_1264648846920732_60419311833046

But yeah, i have to wonder if the presentation of the CAD's is this bad on purpose since it is grey on grey, featureless and has a bunch of weapons "in the way".

4 hours ago, Berkut said:

he intakes at the base of the vertical stabs are wrong (same size when they should be different sized) and that is basically a tradition to get wrong at this point with flanker kits.

Is Zvezda the only one so far who actually made the stabs different sizes?

And they have it originally wrong in the CAD's, actually. :) I had to point it out for them, luckily they listened (after some convincing) and fixed it in time. But yes, as far as i can remember they are the only ones so far getting it right.

8 hours ago, Berkut said:

Hmm, dont see what you mean regarding the vertical stabs (other than the intakes as i have pointed out), looks fine as far as i can tell;

But yeah, i have to wonder if the presentation of the CAD's is this bad on purpose since it is grey on grey, featureless and has a bunch of weapons "in the way".

the thing i see is the trailing edge of the rudders. i was under the impression that it should end in a perfectly vertical line. the KH cad model trailing edge seems like it has a slight angle (but way less than on the regular Su-27S) ...but this could all be cause by the rendering software "preview" option settings...

Edited by mingwin
  • 1 month later...