those black tomcats

Roughly I believe there was one Black A model. I think there might have been a white A model ( I may be thinking of a Phantom). Then there was a D model later on. Tail went from bunny to bat back to bunny. Someone will pipe up with the exact info I am sure.

C&M covered the two earlier variants used by VX-4 matte and gloss black.Probably Kagero Topshot has a couple of pics of the later two D variants with bunny and the XF markings on,also somewhere on this forums there it was an old discussion about them but it probably got deleted as I think it was on manufactures/sponsor forums

Edited by Mizar

As far as the Black Bunny F-14A is concerned the only photo evidence I have found for VX-4 is BuNo. 159853. This is a Block 90 F-14A. It is quite possible that 159853 carried different variations of this scheme but I'm not discounting that a different F-14A from VX-4 carried similar markings.

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104

There is also a block 110GR on display at NAS re NAF Lakehurst in New Jersey. It is all gloss black and beautifully maintained. bu. # is 160658. I can attest to it being there many years and have had lunch under it many times. it is not in black bunny livery . It belongs to nav air systems command

14 hours ago, buddycat said:

There is also a block 110GR on display at NAS re NAF Lakehurst in New Jersey. It is all gloss black and beautifully maintained. bu. # is 160658. I can attest to it being there many years and have had lunch under it many times. it is not in black bunny livery . It belongs to nav air systems command

160658 is repainted in VX-9 style markings for display and never wore this scheme in service. Pretty sure the OP is looking for actual serving aircraft from VX-4 that wore the Black Bunny scheme in service. So far the photo evidence points to BuNo. 159853 as probably being the only VX-4 black cat F-14A.

Cheers,

John

Little bit of info here:

https://fullcolorbirds.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/grumman-f-14-tomcat-vandy-one/

Previous ARC thread here:

According to the linked threads (especially the ARC thread)  there was more then one Black F-14A that saw service. F-14A #161444 is pictured in the ARC thread.

HTH.

Cheers!

My understanding is the flat black plane only wore that paint for a weekend airshow. It was a water based paint the washed off after the show.  I had researched all this when I built my Black Bunny F-14, but I've killed off too many brain cells to remember since then.

Pilotes de Tomcat page 117 F-14A 161494 Flat Black picture taken at Great Falls Montana 1987

F-14 Tomcat by Hermn J. Sixma & Theo W. Van Geffen  page 12 Gloss Black F-14A 159853 picture taken on May 2 1990

Adding from Superscale 72636 instructions which I no longer have but found an image on google

F-14 Bu.No seems to be 159853 but it's unreadable aircraft painted in overall flat black and removed after two days

Fujimi Black Bunny seems to be the save depicted on Testors boxing but I can't see to find the Bu.No,Andy website is gone,I didn't back up his Tomcat section,nor scanned the decals before selling them,my pdf folder is a mess so maybe the only place left to search for something more is Tomcat Sunset forums

Aaaaaaaaaaaand those forums seems to be goner too as they do not recognize my user id and password,found a back up of Andy site Superscale sheet probably got the Bu.No wrong

Edited by Mizar