Roden 1/72 C-123B Thunderbirds

I built the kit for the FineScale Modeler Workbench Review back aways, but when I got wind of the Warbirds decal sheet coming out, I stripped the kit decals and painted the fuselage nose, top, and tail group with Tamiya fine white primer from the can, then overcoated it about a dozen light coats of Future. The decals fit pretty well except where the stabilizers come together. But they give you enough blocks of red, white, and blue decal material that you can patch the junctions. Don't use Solvaset on these, they'll just bubble up and solidify that way. I used a little Microsol, but relied mostly on a hair dryer and careful smoothing with a wet Q-tip. The decal's "U.S. AIR FORCE" were too small, so I found better sized ones in my decal trove. Enjoy!

C-123B-T-Bird_zpswrzim5uz.jpg

C-123B-T-Bird2_zps5tnjza36.jpg

Nice re-do, i love the C-123 and I have this decal sheet. I am glad to know it fits pretty well.

You state you used 12 coats of future on the white primer. How long did that take? Did you mist on a coat and wait for it to dry? how long between coats?

3 hours ago, pminer said:

VERY nice!! How about a decal sheet for a C-17 Thunderbirds!? That would be awesome....

pminer, a C-17 kit first would be nice! One is coming from Kinetic! It would be really great if the T-birds would paint up a C-17 in the bird-on-the-bottom, starduster scheme, but what a pain in the tush that would be to maintain, eh? After the fancy C-119, C-123, and C-54, they ended up using C-130s in standard tactical camouflage.

Kurt H., I've gotten into the habit of applying Future while watching a TV show at my model desk. Every commercial break, I go back to the spray booth and apply a light coat, then go back to the show (and another model I'm working on) and let the Future set. Next commercial break, another coat, and so on. In about two hours, I've got enough coats to make it work. After it cures in about 24 hours, the surface is really smooth without eggshell. If applied carefully and in light coats, the Future won't run or drip. After waiting a few days, I can decal over it without it getting gummy. However, strong solvents like Solvaset will gum up the works, so you gotta be careful. Fortunately, the cure for mistakes is more Future!

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:26 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Kurt H., I've gotten into the habit of applying Future while watching a TV show at my model desk. Every commercial break, I go back to the spray booth and apply a light coat, then go back to the show (and another model I'm working on) and let the Future set. Next commercial break, another coat, and so on. In about two hours, I've got enough coats to make it work.

Very interesting, Paul.

I've always refrained from leaving future in my airbrush for too long for fear of it drying in some place inside: then it's really hard to clean it.

Do you have any trick to avoid this, or are you using a simpler airbrush (e.g. external mix) to spray Future?

BTW, the results are simply Amazing!

Cheers

Davide

I use a 45-year-old Paasche H with a No. 3 tip for everything. Once I'm finished spraying, I flush out the cup and tip with Windex which has some ammonia in it. True: don't leave Future sitting in the airbrush as it will dry to a gummy mess and disassembly and washing with ammonia will be a messy, smelly job. During my spraying process, there's not enough time between applications for the Future to gum up in the airbrush. There's always a little inside the cup so it doesn't go dry during the spraying session. But once I'm done, immediate cleanup is the next task.

I don't thin Future. Just multiple light coats full strength.

The Warbird decals were actually quite thin and relatively inflexible. DO NOT use Solvaset; they'll bubble and then dry all bubbled. I used hot water and hot air from a hair dryer while smoothing out air bubbles with my fingers. I little bit of Microsol on the tough places will help. Had to patch with extra color decal material in spots, but otherwise the decals went down pretty well! I have the dollar nineteen sheet as well but haven't tried it yet.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, Paul Boyer said:

I've gotten into the habit of applying Future while watching a TV show at my model desk. Every commercial break, I go back to the spray booth and apply a light coat....

During my spraying process, there's not enough time between applications for the Future to gum up in the airbrush. There's always a little inside the cup so it doesn't go dry during the spraying session.

Thanks Paul! This means that the time ratio TVShow vs Commercial  in US is even worse than in Italy!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Davide

15 hours ago, davetur said:

Thanks Paul! This means that the time ratio TVShow vs Commercial  in US is even worse than in Italy!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Davide

It depends on the channel. Some movie stations here in the US play 10 minutes of the movie then have 7-minute commercial breaks. Much better to pay for on-demand or streaming movies. But a 10 minute "rest period" between coats of Future works for me.