Ronin graphics 1/72 RAAF P-8A decals

RDS-133%20cover_zpshztrsos9.jpg

As you are reading this the first RAAF P-8A has arrived on Australian soil. Australia has ordered 15 P-8As to replace the aging AP-3C Orions which have been in service for nearly 30 years. The Poseidon is loosely based on Boeings’ passenger 737-800NG with 737-900 wings but using 767-400 style winglets instead of the blended winglets commonly seen. There is also a bomb bay aft of the wings and hard points on the wings outboard of the engines. Like the E-7A Wedgetail , the engines have a larger generator than the passenger versions to power the host of electronics on board which are housed in a slight hump on the port side of each nacelle. The aircraft will be based at RAAF Edinburgh with number 10 & 11 Squadrons and carry the RAAF prefix A-47.

The subject of this review is Ronin Graphics RAAF P-8A Poseidon decals. Currently available in 1/72 to fit the Welsh models kit.  Due shortly will be 1/144 scale and I will be reviewing the S&M conversion for the Revell 737-800 in due course. The markings cover the current 15 airframes on order. As is the case these days the markings are rather dull. The only bit of colour is the red warning markings on the engines. The only variety is what squadron to reproduce with the choice of 10 Squadrons Chimera or the Albatross of 11 Squadron . Both ina lovely shade of grey.

The decals themselves are silk screen printed and are a mixture of glossy and matt. One A5 sheet is provided which covers all the numbers, windows (not many!), doors, roundels, squadron markings, refuelling receptacle and plenty of stencil data.   I’m impressed with the detail. They look sharp and the roundels look great with no pixilation. A smaller sheet is provided for the black wing walkways.

Included with the decals are three pages of A4 sized colour placement diagrams. As noted there is not much colour to speak of! The main colour is FS-16515 “Boeing grey” which is noted that Tamiya AS-16 is the best match.

As mentioned on the Ronin Facebook page, Welsh are in the process of updating their P-8A kit as the aircraft has sprouted new lumps and bumps. If you already have the kit, the upgrade parts will be available separately from Welsh and/or Ronin Graphics (to be confirmed). This sheet comes highly recommended and retails for AU$20 . The decals can be ordered online at their ebay store which is located at:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/roningraphicsaus/

20161114_195101_resized_zpsdpgsixpx.jpg

Edited by Tony P

Wow this is good news. I have some RAAF Wedgetail markings for my other 737 so this should be a nice addition to my other 737 kits in 1/144. Never heard about S&M conversion but will probably be needed to adjust the Revell 1/144 kit I would assume?

Edited by skyhawk174
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, vingtor said:

Are these decals still available? I am thinking about the 1/72 scale set for the Welsh Models kit. I cannot find any place to order it.

Nils

Nils, the Ronin decals are now OOP and as far as I know, at this stage there will be no more reprints.

2 minutes ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Nils, the Ronin decals are now OOP and as far as I know, at this stage there will be no more reprints.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know about any contact information for the people behind Ronin Decals? I could not find anything on their web site.

My primary interest is to prepare for decals for Norwegian P-8s for my own Vingtor Decals range. Thus, any well done decals from other manufacturers are of great interest.

Nils

7 hours ago, vingtor said:

Thanks for your reply. Do you know about any contact information for the people behind Ronin Decals? I could not find anything on their web site.

My primary interest is to prepare for decals for Norwegian P-8s for my own Vingtor Decals range. Thus, any well done decals from other manufacturers are of great interest.

Nils

Nils,

Email for Ronin is skydecals@bigpond.com