4 hours ago, kotey said:

I'm surprising why MiG-29KR wern't redirect to land airfield in this case - positin wasn't so far from land.

Pure speculation but it's possible by the time they realized the arresting gear was out of service, the MiG didn't have sufficient fuel to divert to a land base.  These aircraft aren't renowned for their fuel capacity to begin with.  What I am surprised is, assuming this story is correct, why didn't they rig a crash barrier similar to what the US CVN's have and just land the MiG?   Unless the Russian ship doesn't have one?

I know it's completely impossible (both for political and technological reasons), but it would have been way cool if the MiG was able to divert to a nearby US carrier.   

• 2 weeks later...

And now, a Su-33 was lost at landing because a cable broke. This is getting borderline retarded.

MiG-29K was lost because it ran out of fuel while it was waiting for the deck to be repaired... after a cable breakage. Now a Su-33 was lost, because a cable broke... Back in 2005 they lost a Su-33 and nearly lost another because, drumroll; cable broke.

4 hours ago, Berkut said:

And now, a Su-33 was lost at landing because a cable broke. This is getting borderline retarded.

MiG-29K was lost because it ran out of fuel while it was waiting for the deck to be repaired... after a cable breakage. Now a Su-33 was lost, because a cable broke... Back in 2005 they lost a Su-33 and nearly lost another because, drumroll; cable broke.

Americans wrote the manual for aircraft carriers and even their well oiled and finely tuned operation suffers from arrestor cables broken and so on.

The fact that Kuznetsow it`s a hybrid carrier - part cruiser, I think doesn't help either