Tamiya acrylics thinning

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have spec mix ratio. It all depends on the application. If I want really thin paint for extremely fine lines with high pressure, the mix or use of the thinner is high. General painting for basic coverage, usually 15-17 PSI at near 50/50. But try on a spare placard of sheet styrene or a spare body of any plastic model for testing to get the look you require. Time and experience will build your thinning repertoire for your next modelling application!

My two cents.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a large bottle of the Tamiya lacquer thinner (yellow top) at Toyworld in Noosa :thumbsup:  Will be interesting to see how it compares to the standard Tamiya acrylic thinner.

And while I was picking up some stuff for work from a graphic design place in Tamworth a few weeks back, I noticed he had the Tamiya enamel paints.  We got talking about airbrushing & he gave me a large bottle of Tamiya enamel thinner (blue top).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 9:29 PM, Thommo said:

I finally found a large bottle of the Tamiya lacquer thinner (yellow top) at Toyworld in Noosa :thumbsup: 

After trying this with their acrylic lacquers, I don't often use their alcohol-based thinner anymore.  The lacquer stuff speeds up drying to such an extent that I can mask over paint just after cleaning the airbrush.  This means very quick painting, and the finish seems pretty hard, too.  

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2017 at 3:48 AM, Fishwelding said:

After trying this with their acrylic lacquers, I don't often use their alcohol-based thinner anymore.  The lacquer stuff speeds up drying to such an extent that I can mask over paint just after cleaning the airbrush.  This means very quick painting, and the finish seems pretty hard, too.  

Yup, can now confirm after using it for a few weeks, their lacquer thinner is so superior than their acrylic thinner with their acrylic paints it is amazing.  Far less airbrush blocking/cleaning needed, smoother finish, faster drying.  Doubt I'll use the acrylic thinner again with Tamiya acrylics.

• 4 weeks later...

Just realised I've been using the Tamiya lacquer thinner for my entire current build to date (probably at least 30 different spraying sessions) and have not had to break my AB down once to clean the inner workings to get it working smoothly again.  Incredible!