Tamiya Spitfire and Mosquito

Finally some paint!!

started out by preshading the spit and the mossie

spit-preshade-3_zpsedzzmexa.jpg

i recently bought the hasegawa 1/32 scale Fw 190d, with the engines from Aires, so i've decided to practice a bit of mottling on the spitfire preshading

spit-preshade-1_zpssd3r2ffy.jpg

spit-preshade-2_zpsvdpasxma.jpg

tried to mimic some wood affects on the mossie

mos-preshade-1_zpsxm4dsd5a.jpg

mos-preshade-3_zps9wmbnuiw.jpg

mos-preshade-2_zpsn7kjnebs.jpg

Finally some prep work- i am not confident on my free hand camo skills, so decided to try the white tack method

sprayed on the Ocean gray and prepped for the camo-

camo%20prep_zps3mn2jfhi.jpg

camo%20prep2_zpswig90ppj.jpg

finally sprayed on the dark green

spit%20camo-3_zpsuplrfagz.jpg

spit%20camo-1_zps0l8gho1e.jpg

happy with it for now, next up to give it a go with the mossie.

• 2 weeks later...

busted my arm while ice skating with my little princess, so progress has been real slow, 2more weeks till the cast comes off

ARM_zpsxdj4qhhh.jpeg

so , a little progress on the spitfire

got the guns and tail band painted

spit%20camo-4_zpsstuytqgr.jpg

spit%20camo-5_zpscxox90gq.jpg

and finally got the mosquito ready for some camo

MASK_zpsolhmz66x.jpg

• 1 month later...

finally reached my fav part of the build - decals- but this had to happen?????

decals%20cracked_zpsxfemosvh.jpg

decals%20cracked2_zps5ow5lavz.jpg

the decals cracked once the decal softener was applied? ???? what on earth happened?

so i've decided to order Roundel masks and try painting, so whilst waiting for the masks to reach, i went ahead and put in the decals for the top half of the model

1_zps7igvsa3x.jpg

2_zpswsrbbhje.jpg

the markings are for George Beurling's aircraft. it was from Hussar Production, stencils from HGW

spitfire-hussar_zpsiqbrxzd5.jpg

Anyone need the left over Decals, pls PM me and i can have them sent over

Meanwhile i've also completed the Mosquito's decals. Decals are from EagleCal and stencils from HGW Models

1_zpsymdtes5a.jpg

2_zpsniv5s02o.jpg

got to start working on the landing gears now.

thanks for viewing.

6 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Both look great!  Are the stencils wet transfers?

Steve

Yes, Steve, they are wet transfers, they are a real joy to work with, no decal films left behind, but you will run into one or 2 that dont come off easily and might break up. generally they are designed to be used with MR Hobby Decal Softeners

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all,

finally got some work done, but this time its a time for mishaps.

i got the roundell masks and started to work on the underwing roundels, but the masking tape snagged the roundel on the top side of the wing and ripped it. 2 layers of future is not going to protect the decal much.

roundell%20mishap_zpsozkwtbvf.jpg

got the bottom roundel masked and repainted

roundell_zpst3vg26on.jpg

so i had to cut out masking tape carefully and repaint the top roundels

top%20roundell_zps1xy8q5h6.jpg

did some oil streaking

oil%20streaks_zps2vl7u8pv.jpg

The mosquito on the other hand went on quite smoothly, to my relief....

overall_zpsnvloxpy7.jpg

overall2_zpswc2mc1li.jpg

engine_zpsbv7rue2r.jpg

guns2_zpsmf0stdig.jpg

bombs_zps4vj3vp3t.jpg

latest mishap on the spitfire is that the antenna snapped in 2 and i cant find the other piece. thankfully i have joined a modellers group on facebook , https://www.facebook.com/groups/501095680043128/ ,

The Grumpy Old Scale Modellers Page. and Steen Hansen from Denmark is willing to part with his spare and have it shipped out to me. so looks like the Mosquito will be crossing the finish line first?

14 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

What a heart stopping moment on the decals.

But what a great save!

I can't tell the difference post repair.

thanks Capt, i put a piece of transparency over the decal and tried on a few mixes before i actually sprayed on the decal itself. then i decided to spray over the entire decal, just to be sure, but it matched the other side nicely

22 hours ago, shan said:

thanks Capt, i put a piece of transparency over the decal and tried on a few mixes before i actually sprayed on the decal itself. then i decided to spray over the entire decal, just to be sure, but it matched the other side nicely

That's a good trick!
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Shan

Great finding you here on ARC as I've become an active member as I switched to 48th scale from 32nd scale on LSP.

Awesome work on the Spit and Mossie - just some  tremendous work. I had soem of the same problems with the kit decals on both my tamiya Spit and Mossie and you worked some brilliant magic for sure.

Aces on two brilliant builds :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

On 10/8/2017 at 7:53 AM, Peterpools said:

Shan

Great finding you here on ARC as I've become an active member as I switched to 48th scale from 32nd scale on LSP.

Awesome work on the Spit and Mossie - just some  tremendous work. I had soem of the same problems with the kit decals on both my tamiya Spit and Mossie and you worked some brilliant magic for sure.

Aces on two brilliant builds :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter

hope to see some of your great builds soon

Shan,

both builds are true winners as they crossed their respective finish lines. Paint is flawless. Decals look just as good as your masks you used for the torn decals.  

Not many builders would consider a duel build in 1/32 scale, but Tamiya kits are top of the line, so that there are almost no issues. 

Looking forward to your next build. Now I'm heading on over to see your Ready for Inspection posts.

Joel

3 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Shan,

both builds are true winners as they crossed their respective finish lines. Paint is flawless. Decals look just as good as your masks you used for the torn decals.  

Not many builders would consider a duel build in 1/32 scale, but Tamiya kits are top of the line, so that there are almost no issues. 

Looking forward to your next build. Now I'm heading on over to see your Ready for Inspection posts.

Joel

Thank you for the compliments Joel,

and yes, Tamiya kits are top of the line, the only issues seem to be the decals. Tamiya should tie up with Carthograph to produce excellent decals, ( just a thought).

for my next build, i thought of doing the 1/32 scale italeri Mirage 3c. i want to experiment using alumn foil. hope it turns out ok, have not tried this technique .

14 hours ago, shan said:

Thank you for the compliments Joel,

and yes, Tamiya kits are top of the line, the only issues seem to be the decals. Tamiya should tie up with Carthograph to produce excellent decals, ( just a thought).

for my next build, i thought of doing the 1/32 scale italeri Mirage 3c. i want to experiment using alumn foil. hope it turns out ok, have not tried this technique .

Shan,

I've only don NMFs with Alcad 2s, but I do have an idea how skinning in foil, and it has a steep learning curve. 1st is dealing with wrinkles, then compound curves.  You might be better off with a test mule to learn the basics 1st

Joel

12 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Shan,

I've only don NMFs with Alcad 2s, but I do have an idea how skinning in foil, and it has a steep learning curve. 1st is dealing with wrinkles, then compound curves.  You might be better off with a test mule to learn the basics 1st

Joel

thats good advice, testing on a "test kit".

thanks Joel