Why the yellow colored leading wing edge?

Why?

I know why some are black, its rubber and acts as anti-icing but what about the yellow, like the EA-6B, S-3 or A-6 uses?

I once read it was due to identification IFF but never figured it out (just to compare a Spitifre or a A6M Zero both use a yellow painted leading edge).

TIA

Duncan

31 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I doubt the reason on the Navy jets was for IFF.  I always assumed it was somesort of erosion resistant coating but you raise an interesting question.   I'd love to get some more info from the experts out there.

It is exactly that. It's tape. Stuff came in big fat rolls, both the yellowish and it came in gray also for the tactical schemes.

One of my first jobs once I got out to my squadron aboard USS Coral Sea...was to immediately get sent TAD to Aviation Supply. I used to have to go scour the store rooms for parts and supplies ordered, and I once had to hump a box of that stuff up like 15 deck levels to one of the A-6 squadrons. :(

1 minute ago, 82Whitey51 said:

One of my first jobs once I got out to my squadron aboard USS Coral Sea...was to immediately get sent TAD to Aviation Supply. I used to have to go scour the store rooms for parts and supplies ordered, and I once had to hump a box of that stuff up like 15 deck levels to one of the A-6 squadrons. :(

Bummer, was the escalator broken?

Wonder why they opted to go with that yellow-ish color?  Interesting that it was tape, I aways assumed it was painted on. 

Just now, 11bee said:

Bummer, was the escalator broken?

Wonder why they opted to go with that yellow-ish color?  Interesting that it was tape, I aways assumed it was painted on. 

LOL...yeah, you had to be an officer to use the escalators.

Not sure why they yellow?? Maybe so they could identify areas that were damaged and peeling easier against the gull gray and white? Maybe someone thought it looked cool? 

The stuff protected the leading edges from dings, and also made it easier to clean the leading edges too...you'd be surprised at the amount of bugs you accumulate after a round of touch and goes...especially in places like rural North Carolina and such, where the Navy's tactical aircraft do a lot of their carrier landing practice.

oke this explans more but The F-14s had noone of these, likewise the E2 or A7.

In WOII the yellow 'painted' wing edge meant if the plane was coming or going from the observer but I doubt if this is the case here, I am not convinced.

'The stuff protected the leading edges from dings' sounds more logical to me.

The yellow leading edge on British fighters was introduced in 1941 - along with the switch to Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Medium Sea Grey camouflage.

This from the old Ducimus 'Camouflage & Markings - RAF Northern Europe 1936-45 - Supermarine Spitfire' .........

"A new feature was the painting of a 4in Yellow strip along the outer portion of the wing leading edge of the Spitfire, and it was intended to assist R.A.F. fighter pilots to distinguish friend from foe immediately in the difficult head-on position of battle.

As no similar markings was ever carried be the Luftwaffe's aircraft, it is probable that they found it equally useful"

Ken

the tape used on the leading edges of navy planes is a type of polyurethane and it is almost clear when it is new. after a short time in the sun it turns yellow. 
we use it on our winglets and props. I'll try to take a few shots of new Vs old stuff this weekend.

12 hours ago, dylan said:

the tape used on the leading edges of navy planes is a type of polyurethane and it is almost clear when it is new. after a short time in the sun it turns yellow. 
we use it on our winglets and props. I'll try to take a few shots of new Vs old stuff this weekend.

Interesting.  I was always trying to figure out why they used yellow tape.  Never made any sense.   Thanks for the enlightenment. 

When I was with VFA-151 we called that stuff 1000 mile an hour tape. We had to re install it on an A/C one time. We tried to tell Maintenance Control we needed the adhesive to put down 1st. They didn't listen to us and had us put it on and seal edges with RTV. Well the 1st flight the A/C came back with the tape flapping in the wind. They came down yelling at us that we did not install it right. We said we knew that and that if they would have listened to us the tape would not have come off. Luckily the MD rep came by and confirmed what we were telling them.  

On 11/16/2016 at 8:10 AM, cag_200 said:

Why?

I know why some are black, its rubber and acts as anti-icing

The black is actually rubber Boots or inflatable tubes that break the ice off, this is on turboprop and piston engine aircraft only. you can sett the selector on several different settings to break the ice off the leading edges, where the boots are applied.

The yellowish tape is as described by dylan.

Cheers

H

• 2 weeks later...

We called it "Mach Tape" and was applied to the leading edge of some subsonic aircraft to minimize the effect of rain erosion.  It was never bright yellow, but more of an off yellow.  Humbrol Clear Doped Linen is a excellent match.  Later, the yellowish tape gave way to a light tan with a slight cream tint.  I used Humbrol "Mast Oak" as an approximate.  Later still, they started to make it in clear, so what you see on the jet was a clear satin look on the leading edges of an otherwise flat aircraft.  I would say if you are going with a 80's classic gull gray/white scheme, definitely go with the yellow.  If you are going with TPS, the oak or clear would be an option.