"War", with Gwynne Dyer. (documentary series 1983)

I remember watching this documentary on PBS as a kid in the 80s (6th/7th grade...?). Knowing I would have a career in the military in some regard, it was very interesting and timely to me. Some really good analysis of war with the soviets throughout the series. At any rate, at the 3:38 mark of episode 1 here, Gen. Sir John Hackett has the following quote:

“The whole essence of being a soldier is not to slay but to be slain.

You offer yourself to be slain rather than set yourself up as a slayer.”

I don't think I could disagree more with what he said...he obviously never watched the opening scene of "Patton".

Edited by 82Whitey51
34 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

I remember watching this documentary on PBS as a kid in the 80s (6th/7th grade...?). Knowing I would have a career in the military in some regard, it was very interesting and timely to me. Some really good analysis of war with the soviets throughout the series. At any rate, at the 3:38 mark of episode 1 here, an English fellow has the following quote:

“The whole essence of being a soldier is not to slay but to be slain.

You offer yourself to be slain rather than set yourself up as a slayer.”

I don't think I could disagree more with what he said...he obviously never watched the opening scene of "Patton".

Not sure who the gent is that made that statement but I'm guessing he was never a grunt.  Very much a macro-level, philosophical outlook on the subject.  

During my stint, it was always strongly suggested that the approved approach would be to kill the bad guy.  Ideally, to kill many bad guys.   Being killed was considered to be a less than desirable outcome.  

That being said, I was Army.  I could easily see my brothers in The Corp (tm) buying in to the quote above.