Russian Carrier Flight Ops

Around the 2:50 mark you can see a tug pushing a jet into a parking spot. What is interesting (to me anyway) is that the tow bar is attached to the stbd main gear, not the nose gear. I've never seen that before.

I'm an ex carrier sailor (USN) and naval intel analyst who specialized in USSR/Warsaw Pact forces. From an academic standpoint, I'm fascinated by the Russian Navy's resurgence and it's ability to project airpower ashore. I'm wondering about the distinct lack of a medium or heavy strike aircraft but that may just be me showing my age and I need to remember that our carrier air wings are all F-18's now. Be cool to see some Su-25's or 34's aboard. Obviously, and despite RT's very pro-Russian spin, they've got a long way to go, but this is more capability than anything we saw from them in the late 80's / early 90's. The bombs on the centerline of the Sukhoi—said they were high-precision. Looked like dumb bombs to me though?

Yes, they are good old dumb bombs, nothing smart about them. RT is BS'ing as usual. Those Su-33's did get updated mission computers (Gefest, Su-24M's in Syria use them too) which have much greater dumb bomb precision than the older ones though. But still, dumb bombs.

13 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Does anyone know exactly how many Migs are embarked? Is it just the 4 now 3? I was under the impression that the point of this deployment was for Kuznetsov to demonstrate a new ability to launch strikes against ground targets with the Migs? 

Yes. 2 KR's 2 KUBR's. Well, now 1 KR.

4 hours ago, Berkut said:

Yes. 2 KR's 2 KUBR's. Well, now 1 KR.

Thanks, that is really surprising, this cruise sounds more like an experiment than an operational deployment! They certainly arn't going to be dropping much with only 3 planes unless they've  managed to configure the SUs with ground attack weaponry . 

Su-33's are able to do ground attack - just with a much more limited weapon selection than MiG-29KR/KUBR's. But that doesnt matter much really as Russians prefer to use dumb bombs over Syria over for most part, which both planes are able to deploy.

So they do have Migs aboard? I was under the impression that they had abandoned the idea of a mixed airwing and would be going strictly with Sukhois now.

I agree that this deployment is more of a "proof of concept" - that the Russians can actually operate in a real world combat environment" than it is a meaningful application of force. In their defence, you have to start somewhere.