Best F-14 Tomcat in 1/144?

Hello all

I normally do not build in such a small scale...apart from the Star Wars ships! (Bandai Falcon) Now I would like to have a 1/144 Tomcat to get a size comparison to the spave ships and also possibly to create a liitle "what if" diaorama. I was inspired by a cool photo shop image that showed a crash landed X-wing on a WWII carrier...;-) I have noticed that there are tons of different 144 scale kits out there, so which one is the best, please? -A, B, D...does not matter.

thanks

Uwe

Edited by anj4de

Sticking my neck out a bit, I think the later Revell toolings are well regarded -with the caveat that some older editions are still around and you need some insight into catalogue lore to know which boxes contain what bits!

Having said that, I can vouch for this F-14A and this F-14D. Also, although 1/144 aftermarket is still a bit cultish these days, the Revell Cats are catered for with jewel-like resin and p/e updates if you like that kinda thing.

Both current Revell and Dragon are nice with Revell having the edge. Of the older kits, The LS one is good, albeit rudimentary. The LEE and Academy ones (both cruder copies of the LS kit) aren't so hot, but they have unique decal options. Only one I might avoid would be the ancient Crown kit, unless you want to kitbash a FSD aircraft from it and the LS kit.

The revell ones were great but the new Trumpeter F-14A/B/D kits blow everything else out of the water. I've seen them for $10-18. They have all the latest ECM bumps, NACA vents, correct exhaust and fairings, nice cockpits, excellent landing gear doors.

fwiw, I used to love the LS kits for their shape  it you had to paint the canopy and it came with no weapon rails, drop tanks, etc. 

Thanks for all the good answers...I am now also aiming at a Trumpeter. Price in Germany is around 10EUR...so not the world! ;-)

@Brian...getting your wonderfull decals over here is a bit of a pain though :-(  Will have to order directly I guess.

thanks

Uwe

11 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

The revell ones were great but the new Trumpeter F-14A/B/D kits blow everything else out of the water. I've seen them for $10-18. They have all the latest ECM bumps, NACA vents, correct exhaust and fairings, nice cockpits, excellent landing gear doors.

fwiw, I used to love the LS kits for their shape  it you had to paint the canopy and it came with no weapon rails, drop tanks, etc. 

8 hours ago, spejic said:

The Revell kits are good. The Trumpeter ones are absolutely amazing. It's one of the best 1/144 kits you can buy.

I can only agree on the above comments on the Trumpeter Tomcats.

As an added bonus, IMHO the Trump/HB trademark shape problems around the intakes seem to be much less prominent in this smaller scale.

• 1 month later...