Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, 11bee said:

The screws simply fell out?

Yup, we all usually kept a ziplock bag of the screws in a pocket. From the flexing of the fins it was common to lose them. At times the anchor were gone too, so as

long as they weren’t in a leading edge or corner, the jet could

fly with missing screws if we didn’t have time to fix the anchor. I think it was up to six screws that could be missing. It was those panels only, panel 68L and 68R. They weren’t riveted as we had to access components behind those panels.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, Collin said:

Nice in-flight shot.  Looks like a recent transfer jet.  Old markings have been painted over with fresh paint and new squadron markings applied:

171026-N-TQ088-587.JPG

Does anyone make decals of this?

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, RichardL said:

Any tips on how to give our canopies similar tint?

The only suggestion I could make is this: Testors makes some enamel paint that is turn signal amber. Maybe experiments with a few drops in a solution of Future, and dip the windscreen. The same technique you would use for smoking canopies.

12 hours ago, Spook498 said:

The only suggestion I could make is this: Testors makes some enamel paint that is turn signal amber. Maybe experiments with a few drops in a solution of Future, and dip the windscreen. The same technique you would use for smoking canopies.

I have an idea I want to try, and it involves transparent violet and green lacquers.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, RichardL said:

I can see the difference between Light Ghost Gray and Dark Ghost Gray in this shot.  Any tips on how to give our canopies similar tint?

If you are referring to the front one, how about using a small amount of yellow food coloring, maybe mixed with tamiya smoke? 

If you are referring to the iridescent effect on the canopies, I started experimenting with a product from Michael's with somewhat okay results.  Maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out :) 

Iridescent Canopies on ARC