Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

The S/B for Standard Ballast is just a guess on my part. Here is another one that looks to have been written on several times:

160703-N-QN175-112.JPG

note RDY indicates the gun is ready which means it can be fired when selections are made.

Jari

Edited by Finn

I believe S/B stands for Standard Belt, I.E. 350 rounds

Not sure what the M/T stands for.

The USN does not use rounds as ballast.

Different squadrons/CAG's have different markings they place on the gun panel, it all depends on what the CAG Gunner wants.

Edited by GW8345
2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Gun switch, we called it the pop can.

This one has gun info on it, HEI is high explosive incendiary.

Thanks Scooby. In the pic there is a line drawn from the button he is depressing to what looks like another button. What is the purpose of these and why the line being drawn? Sorry to ask so many questions, its just all very interesting.

49 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Thanks Scooby. In the pic there is a line drawn from the button he is depressing to what looks like another button. What is the purpose of these and why the line being drawn? Sorry to ask so many questions, its just all very interesting.

Chaff/flare arm is the forward button, the smaller one on the gun access door. Both are circled and a line is drawn between the two. It’s a reminder to arm the chaff, follow the line to the gun to arm in that order. The H next to the gun arm switch indicates the gun is Hot (rounds are run up the drum to the gun).

It is essentially a reminder to complete those two tasks just before take-off. As well as a reminder that this jet left hot.

3 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Chaff/flare arm is the forward button, the smaller one on the gun access door. Both are circled and a line is drawn between the two. It’s a reminder to arm the chaff, follow the line to the gun to arm in that order. The H next to the gun arm switch indicates the gun is Hot (rounds are run up the drum to the gun).

It is essentially a reminder to complete those two tasks just before take-off. As well as a reminder that this jet left hot.

Thanks again Scooby. Fascinating stuff.

Actually Gary not quite 😉, the smaller button that is circled is for the holdback handle, which mechanically allows the rounds to be fed to the gun the C/F arm switch is to the right as you can see in this pic:

171201-N-MJ135-2129.JPG

Jari

I should have known that was the holdback, similar to our CF-18s.

I knew the Super Hornet had a second arm switch to the right of the gun arm. 

WhenI replied I actually stated what I read on another site and trusted it despite my instincts telling me it was wrong. I couldn’t see the chaff arm because his hand was in the way.

Thank Yari, you were the armorer not me.

The holdback handle is to the left of the pip pin of the panel support arm in this pic:

151229-N-ZG705-405.JPG

here is another example of writing on the gun door:

180619-N-OY799-0123.JPG

this pic shows the gun and C/F safety switches extended:

171009-N-ZR324-033.JPG

Jari

Thanks guys, very interesting tidbits of info. Having the switches extended my be an interesting little detail to add for a diorama similar to the last pic posted. And, of course, I need to know these things before my personal F-18 is delivered :whistle: 

Be kinda cool if one of the aftermarket decal outfits included those markings.  I suppose it'd be just as easy to hand write them using a very sharp, white colored pencil.    Seems to be a detail missed on most (all?) Hornet models.   Sounds like if the aircraft is modeled with live weapons (ie - flying an operational sortie) it should have those gun / countermeasure status markings as well. 

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Be kinda cool if one of the aftermarket decal outfits included those markings.  I suppose it'd be just as easy to hand write them using a very sharp, white colored pencil.    Seems to be a detail missed on most (all?) Hornet models.   Sounds like if the aircraft is modeled with live weapons (ie - flying an operational sortie) it should have those gun / countermeasure status markings as well. 

Or an aircraft without ordnance and a smudge of white where the crew tried, half-heartedly, to erase the markings? :whistle:

On 6/22/2018 at 12:20 AM, Mstor said:

Thanks guys, very interesting tidbits of info. Having the switches extended my be an interesting little detail to add for a diorama similar to the last pic posted. And, of course, I need to know these things before my personal F-18 is delivered :whistle: 

When the cans are out the outside is red, which is what we called them coke cans.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Fundekals did on their WWII FAA Corsair sheets, guns loaded in chalk decals are included.

But you are likely talking modern day.

20 hours ago, Scooby said:

Fundekals did on their WWII FAA Corsair sheets, guns loaded in chalk decals are included.

But you are likely talking modern day.

I was but that's pretty cool that Jennings / Fundekals caught something so minor.   Good attention to detail.  I'm thinking a white water color pencil, finely sharpened, would probably do the trick.  Certainly don't have to worry about neat penmanship.  

21 hours ago, Scooby said:

When the cans are out the outside is red, which is what we called them coke cans.

USN Ordies use to call them "beer cans", not sure if they still did though.

3 hours ago, GW8345 said:

USN Ordies use to call them "beer cans", not sure if they still did though.

We referred to them as both, the wing fold cans were likely referred to as Coke Cans more often.

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

I was but that's pretty cool that Jennings / Fundekals caught something so minor.   Good attention to detail.  I'm thinking a white water color pencil, finely sharpened, would probably do the trick.  Certainly don't have to worry about neat penmanship.  

There was very good footage and details in the FAA film they had which they designed the decals from.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:08 AM, 11bee said:

Fightertown Decals has been doing these on sheets for years. Check out any of the Superhornet Airwing and Superhornet Ball sheets, and some of the earlier sheets. Lots of gun door markings!