Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

44 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Is it SOP to paint his name on the bird?  I can only assume this is a rare ride.

I think for certain incentive rides, they would paint the guy's name on the aircraft.  Probably was removed a short time later, once he got his "hero" pics taken.    Nice touch, for sure. 

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Is it SOP to paint his name on the bird?  I can only assume this is a rare ride.

It varies from squadron to squadron, names are painted on the aircraft in order of rank, the Gunner is pretty low on the totem pole. Some squadrons will put four names on one bird, two on one side and two different on the other so if the squadron is a Super Hornet (like the one picture, that is a VFA-211 bird) then they will put all officer's names on a bird, and will even do some of senior enlisted like the CMC and MMCPO.

Other squadrons will but one name on both sides so not everyone will get their name on a bird since squadrons will have more pilots/back seater's than they have aircraft. The junior officers and ground pounders (non-flying officers) won't get their name on the bird. Again, it all depends on the squadron.

99% of the time, if the person is going for ride, they won't paint their name on the bird, the only time they would do it is if it was VIP and press coverage was involved.

CO decides what names go on what birds ultimately. MX does up the paint stuff. Lots of time CAG and CO jets will get senior enlisted on the canopy. Sometimes skipper says 'do this'. Sometimes MX CC paints them and says 'look what we did'. It really varies - names, callsign, rank, initials, placement, fonts.  I've even seen it be a competition to determine order of names. 

Brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

How do the modex/sidenumbers tie in to seniority. It's my understanding (told to me a pilot) that the new guys (ie: low on the totem pole) get their names on the higher numbered jets. They lower the modex, the more senior you are. Is that the way it works?

X00 - CAG/DCAG

X01 -CO (sometimes CO/XO

x02 - XO/senior LCDR

and on down. By the time you get to X10 - X14 you've got the youngest/newest pilots. Sometimes even into the Intel/Ground Pounder officers. Or you've run out of airframes for names and the LTJG/ENS don't get on a plane. 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...