Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

I like the replacement flap from a Charlie.

My own colour jet from when I was in the CAF (now RCAF) had one flight control surface painted the opposite colours. The refinisher mixed up the top and bottom colours. It flew that way the entire time it was in service. We had to change it soon after it rolled out we didn't have time to change it. Plus it added character so we left it as is. 

15 hours ago, Scooby said:

My own colour jet from when I was in the CAF (now RCAF) had one flight control surface painted the opposite colours. The refinisher mixed up the top and bottom colours. It flew that way the entire time it was in service. We had to change it soon after it rolled out we didn't have time to change it. Plus it added character so we left it as is. 

That's awesome! I was at NAS Oceana years back and VF-211 Checkmates were coming in after being at Fallon. I did a double-take when one of the -211 jets taxied by with a replacement rudder from the blue splinter Tomcat from NSAWC. I never did get a picture of it because my camera battery died right before that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Collin some really nice shots. I really like the shots of the deck crew. Just a quick question though. Why were there 3 brown shorts in that picture. Were two of them training?

Also, this is a great thread with all of the pics. So much info. Thanks again for posting, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Collin said:

VAQ-136 Growler...correct.

Collin

So, is that a new type of wingtip pod? I can't remember seeing one like that, not that I know anything about Growlers.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

So, is that a new type of wingtip pod? I can't remember seeing one like that, not that I know anything about Growlers.

It looks to me like it's the standard pod. I don't think they got new ones. If I recall, they were working on new underwing pods.

Edited by Darren Roberts
4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

It looks to me like it's the standard pod. I don't think they got new ones. If I recall, they were working on new underwing pods.

You're right. It was a trick of my eyes and the photo. Thought the back side of the pod was flat. Closer examination shows it has the round cross section it's always had. Thanks!

I watched a video yesterday about starting and launching an F/A-18E configured as a tanker.  One green shirt got underneath and spun the centerline tank generator prop through about four revolutions.  Not four blades, sixteen blades.  What is the purpose for this?