Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I watched a video yesterday about starting and launching an F/A-18E configured as a tanker.  One green shirt got underneath and spun the centerline tank generator prop through about four revolutions.  Not four blades, sixteen blades.  What is the purpose for this?

To make sure it is free from binding and that hydraulics pressurize when the RAT turns.

16 minutes ago, Wolfgun33 said:

Is the pilot wearing a standard helmet? Why wouldn't they wear the helmet mounted sight one?

Since the pilot is a Captain and he has a CVW-1 emblem on his helmet I would guess he's CAG or DCAG and does not have one of those new newfangled helmets yet.:thumbsup:

Just a guess but he may be taking a bird up for an FCF (Functional Check Flight) in order to get his air time. When I was in CAG and DCAG would take birds up regularly for FCF's in order to get extra flight time. They would do regular missions also but also did FCF's when they could get the chance. I used to have to do the QA FCF Brief when I was a QAR since all the other QAR's seemed to get nervous and didn't want to do it.

Are the hold-back bars rebuildable?  I've been watching some flight deck videos, some of which show the green shirts picking up the bars after launch and setting them on the catwalk.  The paint on the bars can be quite beat up.  I assume there is a frangible portion between the bar and the part that stays on the nose gear?

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Are the hold-back bars rebuildable?  I've been watching some flight deck videos, some of which show the green shirts picking up the bars after launch and setting them on the catwalk.  The paint on the bars can be quite beat up.  I assume there is a frangible portion between the bar and the part that stays on the nose gear?

Depends on the bar/aircraft.

For the F-18A-F/EA-18G the bars are called repeatable bars, they can be used multiple times and there is no frangible portion like the older style that used a hold back fitting. For the repeatable, they release once a certain force is applied to the release mechanism. The F-14 also used a repeatable hold-back bar.

If you google "catapult holdback fitting" you can read a lot more about the different types of holdback bars/fittings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Collin said:

181206-N-GA424-0004.JPG

Colin this thread has inspired me to make myself a member here, as I'm building a va55 warhorses, tram intruder  from the Libya raids, I was researching weathering on tps  camo and  us navy jets, great thread  with wonderfully pictures thanks 👍👍

Some see just grey, there's a lot more!