Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

Colin this thread has inspired me to make myself a member here, as I'm building a va55 warhorses, tram intruder  from the Libya raids, I was researching weathering on tps  camo and  us navy jets, great thread  with wonderfully pictures thanks 👍👍

Some see just grey, there's a lot more! 

Here is one, before the raid but the same cruise:

cv43111985VA55KA-6DJM.jpg

Jari

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Here is one, before the raid but the same cruise:

cv43111985VA55KA-6DJM.jpg

Jari

Fantastic jari, just what I was after an idea of the spine walkway, and how it looks against the surrounding  greys, thank you so much, here's my effort, complete guess work to be quite honest, 

ItLqLzL.jpg

One more thing if I may, it looks like both mers look white in the photo would that be the norm, I was thinking inside ones to be  grey, (constantly fitted) and maybe outers white, depending on what was in the stores (only fitted for missions), cheers

Edited by Hewy
7 minutes ago, Collin said:

I've been watching your A-6 build.  Actually I should turn this thread into "Dirty Navy Birds".

Cheers

Collin

Ahh, I was unaware Colin, thanks

Dirty Navy Birds works for me

Edited by Hewy
23 hours ago, Hewy said:

One more thing if I may, it looks like both mers look white in the photo would that be the norm, I was thinking inside ones to be  grey, (constantly fitted) and maybe outers white, depending on what was in the stores (only fitted for missions), cheers

Here is one with a white MER getting readied for the raid:

DN-ST-86-06950.jpeg

one more, about to get an AIM-9 as well:

DN-ST-87-00061.jpeg

and another one, with a buddy refueling pod on the belly:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6410187

the reason for them being white, they just didn't get painted grey yet. no doubt when they went into maintenance they did get painted.

Jari

Edited by Finn

Suspension Equipment go through a complete maintenance cycle at least once a year (unless they are in preservation), they are not painted when they go through maintenance, they are painted on an "as needed" basis. If the paint finish is in good condition, then the item is return to service. An exception to this is if a Technical Directive directs the item to be painted in order to change the color.

The cross over from white to grey suspension equipment started in the early 80's and there were still a few white MER's/TER's running around in the 85/86 time frame.

If the item is in preservation, then the maintenance clock stops until the item is removed from preservation, it is then given an operation check and the maintenance clock starts were it left off from.

IIRC the color change was not directed by a Technical Directive, it was introduced in the manuals and not all manuals were updated at the same time so some items were changed earlier then others.

7 hours ago, GW8345 said:

The cross over from white to grey suspension equipment started in the early 80's and there were still a few white MER's/TER's running around in the 85/86 time frame.

Gw that is a great help, I'm going now with a grey inner mer

And white outer, many thanks

Glynn 

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Gw that is a great help, I'm going now with a grey inner mer

And white outer, many thanks

Glynn 

•  

Recommend you only put one white MER on the aircraft and make the others grey.

Having two white MER's on the same aircraft loaded symmetrically is not realistic for that time frame, having one white MER would be unique.

4 hours ago, GW8345 said:

4 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Having two white MER's on the same aircraft loaded symmetrically is not realistic for that time frame, having one white MER would be unique.

I like your idea, I'll take it on board

4 hours ago, shion said:

some F-35C love, they're now safe for flight in operations:

Is it just that the special paint for the F-35 only comes in one color? It just doesn't look right to me there on deck with all the light grey birds. Sticks out like a sore thumb. You'd think they could make the paint in a lighter grey too.