Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

On 3/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, tosouthern66 said:

There are a lot of rules regarding safety that were not followed while afloat. Not because we didnt want to but because we had to.

Back in the day we could break the rules and the only thing happened is someone yelled at you, today, you break the rules and you are likely going to be standing tall in front of the Skipper.

Times have changed, if we were in today and did the crap we did back then, we'd be in front of the Skipper before the lunch time.

Hell, I remember climbing all over a bird without my cranial on, now a days, if your feet leave the deck one millimeter you better have your cranial on and strapped or someone is going to report you to safety before you know it.

Again, times have changed, the days of breaking the rules like we use to are long gone.

Edited by GW8345

I hear ya.  I worked at a small chemical plant beginning in 1988 and we were issued a hard hat, safety glasses, and gloves.  We would climb all over the scaffolding that supported the single tower and no one ever wore a line.  When I retired from there twenty-seven years later, we had been purchased and sold several times to bigger fish in the pond and their OSHA responsibilities became ours.  Uniforms, safety glasses, gloves, tie-offs, SCBA, AEDs, air masks, Tyvek outer wear, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Collin said:

190306-M-WI555-0324.JPG

Wow, that's some loadout for a legacy Hornet. Is the coloring on the fuselage stars and bars due to lighting or is it painted that way?

1 hour ago, Collin said:

190306-M-WI555-0324.JPG

Ok now that is a great shot and I love the load out. Also by the tail marking I am guess it is a USMC bird in some sort of commerative scheme? Or do the nose stripes mean something else?

After clicking on the photo and zooming in I can see it is a USMC bird and it looks like the stars and bars are painted that color. There are other markings in the same yellow color. Would love to see more of this aircraft. Would be great if someone does decals for it.

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Google "VMFA-323 F-18C 165220"

There several pics on the web of this aircraft in the markings shown above.

hth

Thanks, nice markings on that aircraft. Don't suppose there are any decals available. Saw a pic of a model of the CAG bird done up in Death Rattlers colors.

10 hours ago, Mstor said:

Thanks, nice markings on that aircraft. Don't suppose there are any decals available. Saw a pic of a model of the CAG bird done up in Death Rattlers colors.

Not yet, but they're drawn. 323 sent me complete photo coverage a few months ago and I'm going to do my absolute best to get them on a printed decal sheet this year.

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

Not yet, but they're drawn. 323 sent me complete photo coverage a few months ago and I'm going to do my absolute best to get them on a printed decal sheet this year.

Very tempting. Nice markings and that loadout. I will keep an eye out for that set. Thanks Dave.

17 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Poor VFA-136. The must have some of the most boring markings of any Super Hornet squadron.

Amen to that. I was just at dinner the other night with a guy that did his department head tour there and he agreed also.  

On 3/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, Spike72 said:

Their recent Boss Bird with the "Ghost Wing" nose art looks cool.

-Gregg

I'm not sure why the quote boxes keep showing up. :coolio:

Edited by GreyGhost
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

51982010_2485740041453788_39816305897352

45 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

Collin

Any chance of you pointing me in the direction of a full bird picture of the 151 Super Hornet?

190219-N-OM854-0247.JPG

190307-N-OM854-0284.JPG

190115-N-OM854-0516.JPG

I'm sure somone else has a better pic of 400 if that is what you are interested in.

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin