Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

1 hour ago, GreyGhost said:

Yes, I realize that Dave :thumbsup:, I just meant that maybe the Jolly Rogers' may have repainted their CAG jet in more subdued markings compared to the recent Anniversary markings due to possible combat ...

-Gregg

That's what I meant. A squadron is not going to waste man hours to repaint a jet in a lo-vis scheme because it might fly combat missions.

No, they wouldn't but when said aircraft comes up for repaint and they're at sea, chances are its going to be a less colorful scheme. I guess I just haven't worded myself clearly, sorry.

-Gregg

21 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

No, they wouldn't but when said aircraft comes up for repaint and they're at sea, chances are its going to be a less colorful scheme. I guess I just haven't worded myself clearly, sorry.

-Gregg

Not necessarily, while at sea the scheme the aircraft is in is just maintained. You have to get special permission to repaint an aircraft while onboard ship, only touch ups and applying squadron markings are allowed. 

One thing to keep in mind, aircraft are only completely repainted at the depot because once the aircraft is repainted has to be weighed and the weight n' balance has to be recalculated, weighing the aircraft can not be done at the squadron level.

10 hours ago, picknpluck said:

I read somewhere a few months ago that the Navy ordered all the CAG schemes toned down.

And this toned down directive was cancelled few weeks later.

Several pretty neat show birds were lost for nothing.

7 hours ago, shion said:

And this toned down directive was cancelled few weeks later.

Several pretty neat show birds were lost for nothing.

Bummer. But I suppose they'll be back after the next paint cycle.

1 hour ago, GreyGhost said:

190605-N-SS390-0067.JPG

Black Knights transition...

-Gregg

I didn't know that the Marines were flying F-35C's. Do they fly both B and C versions?

9 hours ago, Greg Long said:

At least the Hornet has style and poise - don't know what the other aircraft has - don't like it

Greg

Indeed, the Hornet is sleek and, well, looks like it wants to fly. The F-35 is fat and ungainly in comparison. I guess these days, with advanced computer systems, you can put a jet engine on a brick and make it fly. I still like both of them though.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Indeed, the Hornet is sleek and, well, looks like it wants to fly. The F-35 is fat and ungainly in comparison. I guess these days, with advanced computer systems, you can put a jet engine on a brick and make it fly. I still like both of them though.

What's funny is I have just the opposite view. The Hornet looks old and tired and ready to be put to bed. The F-35 looks advanced and ready to fight. When the F-14 came out, people said the same thing about the F-4. Same goes for when the F-18 replaced the A-7. Of course, no one said anything like that when the F-18 Super Hornet replaced the Tomcat. That it was a step backwards was obvious to all. 😂

4 hours ago, Collin said:

Isn't this a "weathering" thread?

Look at that dirty bottom:

Yes, you are right. Back to the dirt.

Yes indeed that is a dirty bottom. :whistle:

Make's one wonder what type of corrosion control will be used on the F-35s serving on carriers? Has this been discussed elsewhere?

• 2 weeks later...