Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

21 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

What is that ramp over the starboard aft walkway used to dump overboard?  Deck wash water?  And what is that wheel/tire lashed to the railing just ahead of it?

The ramp is an ordnance jettison ramp, used to jettison ordnance in case of a fire on the deck. The tire is a spare F-18 main mount tire, spares are stored in the catwalk for ready access.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:09 PM, GW8345 said:

The ramp is an ordnance jettison ramp, used to jettison ordnance in case of a fire on the deck. The tire is a spare F-18 main mount tire, spares are stored in the catwalk for ready access.

I would have been correct! I didn't answer because I didn't want to give incorrect information. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking GW!

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Thanks for the 411.  Do the spare wheels stay there until used or only during flight ops?

They stay there until used (then they are replaced with another one) or when the squadron leaves the ship.

Usually, each squadron onboard will keep at least one main mount and a pair of nose tires in the cat walk so it would be common to see several tires in the cat walk when the Airwing is onboard.

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

Interesting, who's Hornet? No wing markings. AMRAAM (?) on the port wing. And a F-15J in the background.

Im going RAAF as well. No upper wing markings, no CANADA on the spine, and We should be able to see the numbers on the nose at this angle. 

Sean