Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

On 2/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Collin said:

Now this looks cool.  I am assuming the AESA radar is the reason for the slanted shadow/weathering on the nose?

200203-N-RU084-1008.JPG

There is a very slight "ridge" in the cone for that. Shows up great in this picture.

A question, since I miss the days when navy aircraft were colorfully decorated. Is aircraft camouflage these days really that effective that they are so hesitant to put any decoration on aircraft? Just curious.

Gvt/Navy released one year ago a directive to ban high vis deco on a/c.

Directive wasn´t popular at all, but units comply.

In the end, directive was cancelled, but most units had already repaint their CAG bird.

So now, during at least one deployment cycle, units don´t have color bird.

Reason why we see colors come discretly back now, with a revenge.

4 hours ago, shion said:

Gvt/Navy released one year ago a directive to ban high vis deco on a/c.

Directive wasn´t popular at all, but units comply.

In the end, directive was cancelled, but most units had already repaint their CAG bird.

So now, during at least one deployment cycle, units don´t have color bird.

Reason why we see colors come discretly back now, with a revenge.

Thanks. Yes, it nice to see some of the CAG birds painted up. I'm still curious as to why the ban? Is the camo being used these day that effective? Thinking about it, I guess they want to give pilots every edge possible and if cutting out the color and reducing the visibility of the aircraft helps even a little, its worth it. Still, I miss the colorful birds and from the looks of things, so do the pilots and plane crews.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Thanks. Yes, it nice to see some of the CAG birds painted up. I'm still curious as to why the ban? Is the camo being used these day that effective? Thinking about it, I guess they want to give pilots every edge possible and if cutting out the color and reducing the visibility of the aircraft helps even a little, its worth it. Still, I miss the colorful birds and from the looks of things, so do the pilots and plane crews.

Budget issues? Eye Candy is not a defense necessity?

27 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Budget issues? Eye Candy is not a defense necessity?

Hadn't thought of it from that direction. Sounds like something a bureaucracy would do. Not in the budget. I suppose.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, weirich1 said:

I just noticed this on the Top Gun: Maverick F/A-18F--

the lack of ejection seat danger markings and canopy remover markings. Of course, all due to the special hi-vis paint.

The airframe doesnt have any buno's painted on it either.....

7 hours ago, Collin said:

Viking Love....awesome.

200304-N-WO152-0110.JPG

Love these Lancer markings:

200127-F-NX702-004.JPG

Do you notice what's different about the EA-18G paint scheme? It's not Dark Ghost Gray over Light Ghost Gray. It's Medium Gray over Light Ghost Gray. That's something I haven't seen before. I wonder if this will be a new scheme?