Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

Do you notice what's different about the EA-18G paint scheme? It's not Dark Ghost Gray over Light Ghost Gray. It's Medium Gray over Light Ghost Gray. That's something I haven't seen before. I wonder if this will be a new scheme?

That has been the CAG bird scheme for awhile. Furball had it on their CVW-8 sheet.

The other thing to note is the NL tail code now instead of the AJ. I guess CVW-8 is still on limited flying hours so they pulled them out of the air wing.

14 hours ago, Spike72 said:

That has been the CAG bird scheme for awhile. Furball had it on their CVW-8 sheet.

The other thing to note is the NL tail code now instead of the AJ. I guess CVW-8 is still on limited flying hours so they pulled them out of the air wing.

So is that a new camo scheme for all SH’s or just a one-off?   I really like it.  

14 hours ago, Spike72 said:

Interestingly enough, VFA-97 is now flying with AJ CVW-8 codes as well. There were flying CVW-9 NG with a mock digital paint job on the vert stabs with a red adversary star. Both are gone now. However, -97 is slated for transition to the -35C.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

So is that a new camo scheme for all SH’s or just a one-off?   I really like it.  

Probably just a one off for the CAG bird. They get to make it look different without being over the top in color in case another directive comes out to tone it down. 

1 hour ago, Spook498 said:

Interestingly enough, VFA-97 is now flying with AJ CVW-8 codes as well. There were flying CVW-9 NG with a mock digital paint job on the vert stabs with a red adversary star. Both are gone now. However, -97 is slated for transition to the -35C.

Maybe just for admin purposes if CVW-9 was going to start work ups and needed another E model squadron.  They could slot -97 into 8 while they begin transition.

18 hours ago, Spike72 said:

The last Growler unit, VAQ-143, is coming, and will fill the gap in the CVW-8.

The need for more purple squadrons is more present, so VAQ-131 became an expeditionary sq one year (or more) ago.

Edited by shion

I had not noticed those stripes.  A helpful catch as I'm getting ready to embark on building a number of blues birds. 

I'm ready to be corrected, but I suspect they may have some use for the pilots "flying the paint".  It seems too delicate to serve any decorative purpose and odd to be a warning.  But I know these tight formation groups tend to hold position by fixing some marking or paint reference on their bird on a reference of the other aircraft, hence "flying the paint". 

3 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I had not noticed those stripes.  A helpful catch as I'm getting ready to embark on building a number of blues birds. 

I'm ready to be corrected, but I suspect they may have some use for the pilots "flying the paint".  It seems too delicate to serve any decorative purpose and odd to be a warning.  But I know these tight formation groups tend to hold position by fixing some marking or paint reference on their bird on a reference of the other aircraft, hence "flying the paint". 

Turbine warning stripe?

8 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Turbine warning stripe?

I'd expect to see a similar stripe on the fleet birds then.  I'm in the midst of building a legacy Hornet and am not finding a similar line on any of them (reference pics). 

Edited by ESzczesniak
2 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Forms a nice bearing line for the slot aircraft in that first picture seems to me. Trailing edge of wings lined up continuous with the yellow strip would tell me I’m on the correct bearing line and in position. Never saw this on a legacy bird, but ours were so dirty it could be easily missed. 

Cheers

Collin

Nice shot of the Sluggers. There were a couple of squadrons during the transition from overall Gull Gray to TPS that had a mix, much like back in the 50's when they transitioned from Dark Sea Blue to Gull Gray/White. I always thought it was weird to see the gray markings on a Gull Gray Tomcat. 

56 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Where were these F-14s photographed? Was this temp camo for Top Gun type exercises, or for Desert Storm? Looks like they are parked on a tarmac not a carrier. I don't remember seeing decals for these schemes, though my memory is trying to jog me about Thief of Baghdad. That one sounds familiar somehow.

9 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Where were these F-14s photographed? Was this temp camo for Top Gun type exercises, or for Desert Storm? Looks like they are parked on a tarmac not a carrier. I don't remember seeing decals for these schemes, though my memory is trying to jog me about Thief of Baghdad. That one sounds familiar somehow.

Tomcats on the Flightline

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiSZmW2n

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/001-100/rev020-Twobobs48025/00.shtm

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/f-14b-camel-smoker-and-thief-of-baghdad-from-vf-24-t243423.html

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=236946

• 2 weeks later...