Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

Oh wow, that Have Glass paint sure bleaches out fast. I wonder what it looks like closer up. Does it have that silver look of worn F-22s?

Edit: the pic above is rather large if one does a right-click and view image. Airframe is very dirty. Color looks more light grey that metallic, but hard to tell. There doesn't seem to be any paint touch-ups that I can make out. Interesting. Too bad that the only 1/48 B model is the Kitty Hawk. Wish Meng would do a B.

Edited by Mstor
On 4/14/2020 at 2:38 AM, Mstor said:

Oh wow, that Have Glass paint sure bleaches out fast. I wonder what it looks like closer up. Does it have that silver look of worn F-22s?

Edit: the pic above is rather large if one does a right-click and view image. Airframe is very dirty. Color looks more light grey that metallic, but hard to tell. There doesn't seem to be any paint touch-ups that I can make out. Interesting. Too bad that the only 1/48 B model is the Kitty Hawk. Wish Meng would do a B.

The Have Glass 5 is not bleached out, that is how it looks dependent on surrounding light.  I have seen numerous HG5 F-16s, at some angles it appears to be dark gray but others the metallic silver shines through.

I have found the best way to replicate this finish is Mssion Models MMP-083 Have Glass Gray FS36170 over a dark gray base. I have built a few F-35s and F-16s, finished jet looks outstanding.

This just gave me an idea for a "what if" build: a Tomcat painted in this scheme.

Edited by weirich1
4 hours ago, weirich1 said:

The Have Glass 5 is not bleached out, that is how it looks dependent on surrounding light.  I have seen numerous HG5 F-16s, at some angles it appears to be dark gray but others the metallic silver shines through.

I have found the best way to replicate this finish is Mssion Models MMP-083 Have Glass Gray FS36170 over a dark gray base. I have built a few F-35s and F-16s, finished jet looks outstanding.

This just gave me an idea for a "what if" build: a Tomcat painted in this scheme.

If you say so. I've a lot of pics of F-35s and none look like that one, from any angle.

15 minutes ago, weirich1 said:

It's a tricky paint scheme!

There was a long thread dealing with simulating the Have Glass look with numerous paint samples compared to the FS color card for match to the color itself and also discussion about the metallic sheen.

Great detail shot showing:

1.  Dirty and beat up pylons.

2.  AGM-65E LASER Maverick seeker head (plus LMAV is just too cool...it's a great weapon.  I used to call it the "C-130 of weapons").  

200414-N-RU084-1016.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Collin said:

For those ITER super detail folks out there

200430-N-SL179-1006.JPG

Details you couldn't care less about;

The two ITER's sitting on the deck are BRU-70/A DITER used on the AV-8B.

The ITER the two ordies are picking up is a BRU-42 ITER.

3 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

According to the text below the silhouette, the 4th of January 1989 is the when. Superhornet's can time travel?

You have sharp eyes! : )  : )

So the Superhornet technology is far more than what is advertised! : )   : )   : )  There is a big switch in front cockpit left side with big red "WARNIG time travel"   : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor