Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

19 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Which specialty does "AN" stand for?

AN is not a specialty, it's a rank. AN stands for Airman = E-3. 

Not all junior enlisted go to a specialty school after bootcamp, they go to the fleet and then "strike" for a specialty. 

28 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

AN is not a specialty, it's a rank. AN stands for Airman = E-3. 

Not all junior enlisted go to a specialty school after bootcamp, they go to the fleet and then "strike" for a specialty. 

I never understood the US Navy ranks. I was on a course at Oceana and they listed me as an E-9. No idea what that meant but everyone kept jumping to attention. I am sure it must have been higher then my real Canadian rank. And I was no officer just a working Sr NCO.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I never understood the US Navy ranks. I was on a course at Oceana and they listed me as an E-9. No idea what that meant but everyone kept jumping to attention. I am sure it must have been higher then my real Canadian rank. And I was no officer just a working Sr NCO.

E-9 is a Master Chief Petty Officer, the highest enlisted rank in the USN. 

I take it your rank was close to or the highest enlisted rank in the CDF so they gave you the equivalent USN rank.

Edited by GW8345
56 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

E-9 is a Master Chief Petty Officer, the highest enlisted rank in the USN. 

I take it your rank was close to or the highest enlisted rank in the CDF so they gave you the equivalent USN rank.

No, my position was Company Sergeant Major. But that is only because we had no one else close to qualified. My company was more a glorified platoon then a company. I was just a Sergeant. One or two ranks below my position. But the Master Warrant and Warrant who should have gotten the job retired.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

No, my position was Company Sergeant Major. But that is only because we had no one else close to qualified. My company was more a glorified platoon then a company. I was just a Sergeant. One or two ranks below my position. But the Master Warrant and Warrant who should have gotten the job retired.

It was the position you held then, to me, Company Sargent Major is the senior enlisted for the command, you were filling the billet so you were given the USN equivalent for that billet.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

"Bubbles".  Ex-submariner?

Who knows?  Call signs are personal and can come from any number of sources...a physical characteristic or embarrassing moment included.. Could be a good hot tub story attached to this one😁

5 hours ago, Napalmakita said:

The weathering on these hornets is looking more and more like Tomcats did as they got long in the tooth

It's easy to still think of the Super Hornet as "new," but they've been in the fleet some 20 years now.

It's harder to tell with USN/USMC aircraft on deployment vs USAF types, but there does seem to be more weathering evident all-around nowadays than was the case even 10 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...