Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

Hi, first post here, and question regarding all the F-35 photos.

I've got an Academy 1/72 F-35A, already painted FS36170 with MRP lacquer, but what is the current consensus regarding the radome, canopy frame, and leading/trailing edge colors? 

I know the RAM tape is all FS36170 now, but what about the rest of the stuff?  Pretty sure that all used to be Medium Gray like the RAM tape, but now I look at 3 recent photos, and come to 3 different conclusions.  In one, the canopy frame and radome still look lighter than the body.  In another, they're virtually the same color.  Then there were some where they actually looked darker than the fuselage.

So should I paint those parts medium gray?  Leave the whole thing one solid block of FS36170?  Maybe use a blend of a lighter gray and FS36170 to make them look like weathered shade of the main fuselage?

In the last group of photos I posted I chose the Cobra because of the exhaust staining and grime on the rear of it.

The two shots of the Rhinos coming aboard the boat I chose to post due to the way they showed the carrier deck.

The Harrier shot I posted mostly because how relatively clean it looked.

On this page above, I posted a factory fresh Block III with a photo of a rhino that's been at sea for a few months to show the contrast ...

If you have a problem with the thread, don't look, if you don't feel it can help you ... don't look, simple as that ... If anyone else feels the same as you do, post here and let me know, I'll stop ...

-Gregg

Thank you for posting, Gregg.   You're the one keeping this thread alive and I, for one, appreciate your pics.

Keep 'em coming!

P.S.  The carrier photos, in particular the ones showing deck are fantastic references for modern carrier modelers.  I've been saving just about all of them for reference.

6 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

In the last group of photos I posted I chose the Cobra because of the exhaust staining and grime on the rear of it.

The two shots of the Rhinos coming aboard the boat I chose to post due to the way they showed the carrier deck.

On this page above, I posted a factory fresh Block III with a photo of a rhino that's been at sea for a few months to show the contrast ...

If you have a problem with the thread, don't look, if you don't feel it can help you ... don't look, simple as that ... If anyone else feels the same as you do, post here and let me know, I'll stop ...

-Gregg

I dont have a problem with the thread. I like it thats why Im here. Thats why I dont want to see it watered down with photos which are run of the mill

11 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I dont have a problem with the thread. I like it thats why Im here. Thats why I dont want to see it watered down with photos which are run of the mill

What may be your "run of the mill" might be someone else's "ah-ha" piece of information...

I don't repost every photo from the navy site just for the sake of it, I try to select pictures that show a detail or more that is not always seen...  Sometimes its just the dirt and grime or shoe scuffs on the wings, etc ... Other photos, it's the environment, the crew, etc ... 

Just look at the way the AESA radar seems to affect the radome coating on the Super Hornets, they seem to darken the radome and there's a fairly clear demarcation line yet I haven't seen any modeler depict that yet ... 

-Gregg

P.S. Thank You FlyandFlight, I meant to mention your kind acknowledgment earlier...  :doh:

Edited by GreyGhost
18 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

-Gregg

Great posts Gregg. Keep going. Please dont stop. These are fantastic photos. 

I thought Harriers were retired. Is US Marines still flying them? 

10 hours ago, stalal said:

Great posts Gregg. Keep going. Please dont stop. These are fantastic photos. 

I thought Harriers were retired. Is US Marines still flying them? 

Harriers are still quite a ways from being retired from USMC service, current estimate is sundown in 2026 or 2027 last I heard.

That gun-less Zulu is interesting, must be on a functional check flight or something of the sort.

Whilst on the subject of Navy aircraft weathering, I came across this PBY at the truly awesome Military Aviation Museum in VA.  It had just flown the week before so you can get some idea how gnarly those old radial engine aircraft got. 

C95C65A2-69F3-4A0E-937C-3E98C9C42CD1.jpeg

BB58D22D-C424-48EB-8239-CF2DAC46F931.jpeg

B32563AB-DE10-4CA2-9B67-804FD314D800.jpeg

2A7D9C6C-7D07-4293-825D-BDA043B474C4.jpeg

2EAAFB99-7DF8-4DAB-A37C-F7D45F5229BA.jpeg

E3005657-D0C0-49FB-80C0-62A25E8E4D8A.jpeg