Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, GreyGhost said:

211029-N-RB149-1002.JPG

(All photos US Navy)

-Gregg

How long have they been using those protective covers on the wing leading and trailing edges and why?   Don't believe that either surface is particularly sharp, do they have some type of RAM treatment that needs to be protected?

4 minutes ago, 11bee said:

How long have they been using those protective covers on the wing leading and trailing edges and why?   Don't believe that either surface is particularly sharp, do they have some type of RAM treatment that needs to be protected?

I can tell you when they didn't have them...when they had baby Hornets and F-14's in the hangar bay.  I'm sure I am not the only one with a scar on my head from hangar bay FOD walkdown and BAM....who put that tailplane (F-14) or wing fold flap (F-18) right where I was walking (with my head looking at the deck for FOD of course).

Collin

The trailing edge of the TEFs and ailerons on Rhinos and Growlers have caps on them that can be changed (I don’t remember the actual nomenclature, I’ve been retired for a little bit and brain dumped that), but they are really, really sharp and will split your wig quick.  When I was in, we didn’t have actual red gear, supply opened purchased boxes of pool noodles and we’d split them half way lengthwise. 

14 hours ago, Collin said:

I can tell you when they didn't have them...when they had baby Hornets and F-14's in the hangar bay.  I'm sure I am not the only one with a scar on my head from hangar bay FOD walkdown and BAM....who put that tailplane (F-14) or wing fold flap (F-18) right where I was walking (with my head looking at the deck for FOD of course).

Collin

That sounds extremely painful.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:59 AM, Collin said:

Blow this photo up.....great example of panel lines and weathering on a late-cruise Super. 

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Dec/06/2002904175/-1/-1/0/211201-N-MM912-1065.JPG

Cheers

Collin

Nice picture.  Guess you would need to highlight a few panel lines to get an accurate finish.   What's the pod on the left cheek station?     On a more general note, it's truly awesome to start seeing F-35C's showing up in these pictures.   Wonder how well the jets are holding up from a reliability standpoint while on the boat?

Edited by 11bee
5 hours ago, 11bee said:

Nice picture.  Guess you would need to highlight a few panel lines to get an accurate finish.   What's the pod on the left cheek station?     On a more general note, it's truly awesome to start seeing F-35C's showing up in these pictures.   Wonder how well the jets are holding up from a reliability standpoint while on the boat?

ATFLIR from the looks of it. 

Collin

Unfortunately my overseas command computer won't let me past the photos :-( but.....

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Dec/14/2002908919/-1/-1/0/211209-N-MD461-1180.JPG

OK...someone forgot to go back over 213 (and 100) with the base color after using the spatter mask.

Cheers

Collin

8 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

Good spot, Collin ...:thumbsup:

Note 213 also has the inner wing pylons removed ...

-Gregg

Removing the pylon not that uncommon.  Saves gas from the SH/Growler drivers I work with.

Cheers

Collin