Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

That F-35 looks a little dirty in places. I also note it has it's radar reflectors on.

Also a question, what is the camera looking raised area on the spine near where the refueling receptacle on the A model would be?

EDIT: The answer to my question is the DAS sensor system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/AAQ-37

Edited by Alternative 4
Answered my own question.
On 1/4/2022 at 5:00 AM, Collin said:

https://media.defense.gov/2022/Jan/03/2002916641/-1/-1/0/211230-N-EE352-1005.JPG

This really shows the dirt on the F-35's.

Cheers

Collin

211230-N-EE352-1005.JPG

Good luck weathering that nasty looking jet.   Maybe just take some gold paint, mix with a touch of brown, dilute it and then spray it randomly all over the jet?  Interesting that the lighter gray RAM panels (or whatever they are) aren't impacted by patina.  

I guess the next F-35C unit to go to sea will be VMFA-314 Black Knights ...

Interesting gun vent stains on this Rhino ...

220107-N-PV401-1085.JPG

CAG F-35C ...

220102-N-YN807-1149.JPG

(PhotoS: US Navy)

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

On the subject of weathering on Super Hornets - over on LSP, a former EA-6B crewmember mentioned that the discoloration you see on some later block SH's radome isn't dirt, it's actually scorch marks from the extremely high power that the new AESA radars put out.   I found that to be pretty interesting.  

Edited by 11bee

Your welcome Gene ...

On the subject of weather on Super Hornets, over on LSP, a former EA-6B crewmember mentioned that the discoloration you see on some later block SH's radome isn't dirt, it's actually scorch marks from the extremely high power that the new AESA radars put out.   I found that to be pretty interesting.

Yes, on some of the Rhino radomes you can actually see the angle of the radar "burnt" into the covering ...

-Gregg

11 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Your welcome Gene ...

Yes, on some of the Rhino radomes you can actually see the angle of the radar "burnt" into the covering ...

-Gregg

I have to admit, I'm not sure if I am seeing this particular effect.   If you come across any pics that highlight this, feel free to post away.  

In the new D&S book there is a mention of this effect present on block II aircraft; this is the quote from the book.

In Block II aircraft, some discolorations (above) are described as “AESA burn,”  speaking to the long-term effects of the energy output of the AN/APG-79 on the radome. Another feature,  unique to Block II F/A-18E/Fs and EA-18Gs, is a thin and lightly colored band or strip (right) which can vary from very subtle to strongly pronounced. It is a physical “crease” where the radome widens slightly aft to accommodate the AESA radar. (Above, Marbrey; Below, Klaus) 

Klaus, Haagen; Kinzey, Bert. F/A-18E & F/A-18F Super Hornet in Detail & Scale: Also Includes the EA-18G Growler (Detail & Scale Series Book 9) (p. 119). Detail & Scale. Edición de Kindle. 

21 hours ago, picknpluck said:

I took this picture of a VFA-2 Super Hornet at Travis AFB a couple of years ago.

ILhNn5E.jpeg

Holy cow!  Looks like it's delaminating.   If all of that is from the power of that radar, can only hope those pilots are wearing lead underwear.