Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

30 minutes ago, eraucubsfan said:

This is a really cool picture because you can see the exhaust or thrust of the Hawkeye.  What is open right above the rescue sign? 

It is the rear crew rescue hatch; I believe it's always open in takeoff and landing as a caution in case of ditching.

It's nice to see you back, @GreyGhost; I hope you are doing well.

Affirm:  it’s left off in those conditions to facilitate a “hopefully” easier exit for the “moles” (NFOs) in back. 
I thank my lucky star I was #3 in my graduating class vice #2. 

Cheers

Collin

28 minutes ago, Collin said:

Affirm:  it’s left off in those conditions to facilitate a “hopefully” easier exit for the “moles” (NFOs) in back. 
I thank my lucky star I was #3 in my graduating class vice #2. 

Cheers

Collin

I almost spit my drink 🤣, never heard the term "moles" for the NFOs before, but it does give a clear picture of them working back there.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:27 AM, ESzczesniak said:

The Super Hornets wing pylons are in fact angled out. I believe it’s 4 degrees from the center line. I’ve read the reason, but unfortunately can’t recall exactly why. It is related to aerodynamics though…but might have been for the airframe, or something about separation of stores when released. 

The Super Hornet's wing pylons are canted 4.5 degrees outboard and the outboard stations (sta 2 & 10) are also tilted 2.5 degrees outboard. This was done to facilitate a certain weapons load due to store separation issues.

Edited by GW8345
6 hours ago, GW8345 said:

The Super Hornet's wing pylons are canted 4.5 degrees outboard and the outboard stations (sta 2 & 10) are also tilted 2.5 degrees outboard. This was done to facilitated a certain weapons load due to store separation issues.

What was the loadout that caused all those issues?

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Now I'm really intrigued.    See if you can answer this - was it a loadout that has been seen, at least on occasion, on these jets?

Can I answer that, yes.........will I, no.

I've answered the question and explained as far as I'm willing to go why the pylons are laid out the way they are. While some may not agree with this decision they need to understand one word..........compilation (refer to your OPSEC/Security Clearance training).

Remember, this is a public website that anyone can view and I'm not going to disclose certain information on a public website for the whole world to see. 😉

Third down from the top, looks like the WSO is pushing up the weight board. 

“What does that mean Collin”?

Before you walk to the jet, you drop off a weigh chit in the Handlers space which has your side number and launch weight for the cycle. The green shirt is showing the crew the weight board which should reflect what you wrote down. Upward hand signal tells the shirt to bump it up by 1000lbs. Slashing back and forth with the hand means bring it down 1000lbs. I believe if is off by 5000lbs or more you need to call the Boss and tell them “Boss, Side XXX is a XXlb catshot” while still giving the hand signals. In the S-3 the NFO front seater typically did this since the pilot is likely busy taxing into the shuttle. I verbalized whatever I saw to the entire crew for SA and backup. 90-95% of the time weight boards are not an issue,  a few times I had to call the Boss to correct. 

Now there was that time a Hornet rogered up a weight board 10K BELOW his catapult weight….I’ll keep you all guessing what happened with that one (as I flew downwind to trap and saw it all). 

Collin 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the absence ...

221113-N-DW158-1043.JPG

221113-N-DW158-1020.JPG

221112-N-YC845-0061.JPG

221112-N-UF592-1076.JPG

221112-N-YC845-0054.JPG

221109-N-ER894-3143.JPG

221028-N-ZG822-1792.JPG

221103-N-MW880-1034.JPG

221109-N-ER894-3175.JPG

(All Photos: US Navy )

P.S. John, the second picture showe the angled shadowing the radar does to the nose cone  on Super Hornets and Growlers ...

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost