Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Collin

Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

 

Do you notice what's different about the EA-18G paint scheme? It's not Dark Ghost Gray over Light Ghost Gray. It's Medium Gray over Light Ghost Gray. That's something I haven't seen before. I wonder if this will be a new scheme?

That has been the CAG bird scheme for awhile. Furball had it on their CVW-8 sheet.

 

The other thing to note is the NL tail code now instead of the AJ. I guess CVW-8 is still on limited flying hours so they pulled them out of the air wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Spike72 said:

That has been the CAG bird scheme for awhile. Furball had it on their CVW-8 sheet.

 

The other thing to note is the NL tail code now instead of the AJ. I guess CVW-8 is still on limited flying hours so they pulled them out of the air wing.

So is that a new camo scheme for all SH’s or just a one-off?   I really like it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Spike72 said:

The other thing to note is the NL tail code now instead of the AJ. I guess CVW-8 is still on limited flying hours so they pulled them out of the air wing.

 

Interestingly enough, VFA-97 is now flying with AJ CVW-8 codes as well. There were flying CVW-9 NG with a mock digital paint job on the vert stabs with a red adversary star. Both are gone now. However, -97 is slated for transition to the -35C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 11bee said:

So is that a new camo scheme for all SH’s or just a one-off?   I really like it.  

Probably just a one off for the CAG bird. They get to make it look different without being over the top in color in case another directive comes out to tone it down. 

1 hour ago, Spook498 said:

 

Interestingly enough, VFA-97 is now flying with AJ CVW-8 codes as well. There were flying CVW-9 NG with a mock digital paint job on the vert stabs with a red adversary star. Both are gone now. However, -97 is slated for transition to the -35C.

Maybe just for admin purposes if CVW-9 was going to start work ups and needed another E model squadron.  They could slot -97 into 8 while they begin transition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Spike72 said:

That has been the CAG bird scheme for awhile. Furball had it on their CVW-8 sheet.

 

The other thing to note is the NL tail code now instead of the AJ. I guess CVW-8 is still on limited flying hours so they pulled them out of the air wing.

 

The last Growler unit, VAQ-143, is coming, and will fill the gap in the CVW-8.

The need for more purple squadrons is more present, so VAQ-131 became an expeditionary sq one year (or more) ago.

Edited by shion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever notice the yellow band across the aft belly of the Blues before?

200305-N-OY339-1163.JPG

200214-N-YO638-1053.JPG

 

I've never noticed it before.

 

-Gregg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had not noticed those stripes.  A helpful catch as I'm getting ready to embark on building a number of blues birds. 

 

I'm ready to be corrected, but I suspect they may have some use for the pilots "flying the paint".  It seems too delicate to serve any decorative purpose and odd to be a warning.  But I know these tight formation groups tend to hold position by fixing some marking or paint reference on their bird on a reference of the other aircraft, hence "flying the paint". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I had not noticed those stripes.  A helpful catch as I'm getting ready to embark on building a number of blues birds. 

 

I'm ready to be corrected, but I suspect they may have some use for the pilots "flying the paint".  It seems too delicate to serve any decorative purpose and odd to be a warning.  But I know these tight formation groups tend to hold position by fixing some marking or paint reference on their bird on a reference of the other aircraft, hence "flying the paint". 

Turbine warning stripe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Turbine warning stripe?

 

I'd expect to see a similar stripe on the fleet birds then.  I'm in the midst of building a legacy Hornet and am not finding a similar line on any of them (reference pics). 

Edited by ESzczesniak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fancy tails:

DN-SC-98-06225.jpeg

 

Prowlers, Intruder, Skyhawks and a Hornet:

 

DN-ST-89-06489.jpeg

 

Jari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

I had not noticed those stripes.  A helpful catch as I'm getting ready to embark on building a number of blues birds. 

 

I'm ready to be corrected, but I suspect they may have some use for the pilots "flying the paint".  It seems too delicate to serve any decorative purpose and odd to be a warning.  But I know these tight formation groups tend to hold position by fixing some marking or paint reference on their bird on a reference of the other aircraft, hence "flying the paint". 

Forms a nice bearing line for the slot aircraft in that first picture seems to me. Trailing edge of wings lined up continuous with the yellow strip would tell me I’m on the correct bearing line and in position. Never saw this on a legacy bird, but ours were so dirty it could be easily missed. 

 

Cheers

Collin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From late last season: #5 jet.

191006-N-UK306-1387.JPG

191011-N-UK306-3409.JPG

#5 jet has it, #6 appears to not have it ...

191011-N-UK306-1154.JPG

 

-Gregg

 

Edited by GreyGhost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of F-14s from the same squadron with different shades of grey:

 

DN-SC-86-05702.jpeg

 

also note 207 has a missing panel even though it has a full missile load.

 

Jari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice shot of the Sluggers. There were a couple of squadrons during the transition from overall Gull Gray to TPS that had a mix, much like back in the 50's when they transitioned from Dark Sea Blue to Gull Gray/White. I always thought it was weird to see the gray markings on a Gull Gray Tomcat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the VF-11 and 103 pics. Don't think I've ever noticed them before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-BA underbody stripe: That's a turbine warning stripe to let the slot guy know where the FOD came from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

200311-N-EJ940-1074.JPG

 

CAPT Scott Speicher scheme.  Looks like under the stb LEX there is a pic and narrative which I assume tells the story of CAPT Speicher and his MIA situation.

 

200311-N-EJ940-1010.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome shots of CAG9 A+ Tomcats!

Thanks Whiskey!

 

-Gtegg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

 

Where were these F-14s photographed? Was this temp camo for Top Gun type exercises, or for Desert Storm? Looks like they are parked on a tarmac not a carrier. I don't remember seeing decals for these schemes, though my memory is trying to jog me about Thief of Baghdad. That one sounds familiar somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mstor said:

 

Where were these F-14s photographed? Was this temp camo for Top Gun type exercises, or for Desert Storm? Looks like they are parked on a tarmac not a carrier. I don't remember seeing decals for these schemes, though my memory is trying to jog me about Thief of Baghdad. That one sounds familiar somehow.

Tomcats on the Flightline

 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiSZmW2n

 

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/001-100/rev020-Twobobs48025/00.shtm

 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/f-14b-camel-smoker-and-thief-of-baghdad-from-vf-24-t243423.html

 

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=236946

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Whiskey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...