Great Navy Hornet (and others) Weathering Ref Shot

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, 11bee said:

Zoom in on the top picture that Grey Ghost just posted above.   You could have an absolute field day replicating all that touchup paint on the undersurfaces.  BTW, what's that small pod on the "cheek" station on the 2nd jet in that picture above?  I thought those pods were all replaced by newer generation targeting pods?

ATFLIR is still in use because the newer pods aren't certified for carrier operations.

14 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

ATFLIR is still in use because the newer pods aren't certified for carrier operations.

That’s really interesting. I just assumed they could use those pods during carrier ops.  Any idea what the issue is?  

5 hours ago, 11bee said:

That’s really interesting. I just assumed they could use those pods during carrier ops.  Any idea what the issue is?  

The electronics in Litening, Sniper, etc, can't withstand the shock of launch and landing, to my knowledge.  ATFLIR and AAQ-25 were the most recent ones that were properly hardened.

11 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

The electronics in Litening, Sniper, etc, can't withstand the shock of launch and landing, to my knowledge.  ATFLIR and AAQ-25 were the most recent ones that were properly hardened.

Optronics, no electronics.

Optronics and in particular optic systems use mobile parts who need tight tolerances and do not like shocks, vibrations etc.

12 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Last pic a gentle reminder for modellers:

WEATHER :deadhorse1:

YOUR :deadhorse1:

ORDNANCE!:deadhorse1:

😉

I love this thread so much!

Right?  Never understood how some models were exquisitely weathered and then festooned with bombs and other ordinance that were uniformly immaculate.   That being said, I never gave much thought to weathering A2A missiles but that picture is a good reference on how some of this stuff did indeed get pretty grubby.   Speaking of grubby, that pylon in the pic above is absolutely filthy.  

On 5/7/2021 at 9:59 PM, ChernayaAkula said:

Last pic a gentle reminder for modellers:

WEATHER :deadhorse1:

YOUR :deadhorse1:

ORDNANCE!:deadhorse1:

😉

I love this thread so much!

On 5/8/2021 at 10:32 AM, 11bee said:

Right?  Never understood how some models were exquisitely weathered and then festooned with bombs and other ordinance that were uniformly immaculate.   That being said, I never gave much thought to weathering A2A missiles but that picture is a good reference on how some of this stuff did indeed get pretty grubby.   Speaking of grubby, that pylon in the pic above is absolutely filthy.  

'Most' ordnance is stored in magazines until pulled for build up. While during times of war and other circumstances this can change, ordnance is usually pretty clean. There will almost always be surface dirt and slightly grimy areas due to handling, but 'weathered' ordnance shouldn't always be expected, especially missiles.

That photo was posted on an Ordnance group I belong to on Facebook and the condition of the missile and pylon are being highly criticized. 

Here are some GBU-16 we built during Mojave Viper back in 2007. As you can see, they were close to being immaculately clean. 

May be an image of outdoors

Hi Dave,

Valid point, I was primarily referring to the earlier OD color bodies but even in your picture above, you can still some some grime / dust on those weapons.   Just think it looks more realistic to have even a bit of dirt present vrs immaculate weapons.  By "weathered" I didn't necessarily mean just overly faded from the elements, I also meant grease and dirt just from routine handling.  

Yes CBUs came in containers but when lots were needed for operations they were taken out, put together as in the case in the pics, the tail fins added plus other details. Then stored ready to be loaded onto trailers to be taken to the loading areas:

017.jpg

018.jpg

Then those not needed were packed up again until they were used for another time or their shelf life expired.

Jari

On 5/15/2021 at 7:31 AM, 11bee said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most CBU's come in individual packing cases, which would keep them pretty much immaculate?  Cool picture of those fuses.  

During Desert Storm at Sheik Isa, all of our FAE, Rockeye and Gator were kept in their shipping containers until they were delivered to the flight line. Once at the line, they were either loaded right away, or staged along the line until needed. 

• 2 weeks later...