Anyone else out deer hunting?

Models can wait until I shoot my buck :)

Been bowhunting a few mornings and evening's a week since Halloween weekend.  had lots of does but no big bucks yet.   Went to shoot a doe this AM but had an equipment malfunction....

Anyone else?  Oh, haters can go eat their veggies and processed foods :wave:

Life from a treestand

20161113_070219.jpg

Edited by toadwbg
Pic

I tried hunting years ago. Friend has a 140 acre farm with 6 stands throughout the property.  It was enjoyable at first just to sit in quiet and enjoy nature.  But after a couple years all I could do was think of this time being spent at the bench building.  It got to the point of being frustrating knowing I had a list of other things I wanted to do at home.  I could swing by Kroger, grab a steak and grill it and be back at my bench in the time it took me to drive to the farm. 

True story -  I'm not a deer hunter but I went out hunting with my ex-brother-in-law ages ago on Martha's Vineyard.  Got up at 4AM hung over, spent hours freezing my butt off, didn't see anything.  Finally get back in his truck to go back and hopefully get some sleep.   A mile down the road a deer runs out in front of him and caves in the front of his truck.  There's a lesson of some sort to be had from this.

Happy hunting.

3 hours ago, CorsairMan said:

Deer hunting is something I want to try. I'm going to sign up for a hunter's course but after that I'm not sure what to do given that I don't really know any hunters. 

Don't know what state you live in, but here in Iowa and other Midwestern states we have a muzzle loader season. Muzzys are a great and more inexpensive season for starter hunters.

8 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

I'm waiting a few more weeks for the cold to come in. In the meantime, its ducks!

Duck you ;)

I also duck hunt but only got out once this year and the warmer weather didn't cooperate.

Pic from better days:

IMG_0454.jpg

10 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Man I wish I could be out hunting.   Bum knee has had me sidelined for several years now.   Deer, Elk and Antelope here in Colorado.   Loved it!  Hoping to get back to it after knee replacement next month.    

Have dreamed big of doing a western hunt in CO, WY.  someday.

23 minutes ago, 11bee said:

True story -  I'm not a deer hunter but I went out hunting with my ex-brother-in-law ages ago on Martha's Vineyard.  Got up at 4AM hung over, spent hours freezing my butt off, didn't see anything.  Finally get back in his truck to go back and hopefully get some sleep.   A mile down the road a deer runs out in front of him and caves in the front of his truck.  There's a lesson of some sort to be had from this.

Happy hunting.

LOL, not seeing anything sucks.  When I was younger hunting in WI, the deer pop wasn't as good as it is nowdays.  went entire weekend's without seeing a thing.  got cold, hungary, and miserable.

Nowdays living in rural IA things are pretty good.  See something to shoot at not every time out but can't complain.   got a good setup just out back in neighbors farm.   Comfy treestands, better gear, more pre-season scouting with game cameras, and lots of corn and soybeans to make fat deer.

2 hours ago, 305swag said:

I've always wondered how many people would hunt if animals could shoot back.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. ---Hemingway 

3 hours ago, 305swag said:

I've always wondered how many people would hunt if animals could shoot back.

Go start your own troll thread.

And I've known  plenty of people injured by deer, crop yields damaged, cars wrecked, and people even killed by them on the road.  We manage the population by hunting them.  

Edited by toadwbg
Spelling
7 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

What type deer you talking about? 2 legged or four legged?

There's tracked Deere too:

400.jpeg

Co-worker and myself snapped this one-in-a billion pic last week.  notice the deer's pose is almost identical to the logo above him.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Support the right to arm bears!

Bears are armed with teeth and claw can run faster than me, and have a size advantage.  I agree it's unfair to hunans, especially if bowhunting them (no firearm).

Hope to do a Bear hunt someday.

Edited by toadwbg
Spelling
3 hours ago, crushkill said:

I'm sitting in a stand right now. Been a successful year so far; 3 in the freezer, but now that the rut is heating up the does are all getting a pass. Hopefully a big monster will walk out soon.

What state you hunting in?  WI gun opener is today.  I'm not doing WI this year, have in the past.

Very cold and windy in the Midwest today.    Last night winter arrived and we've had 20mph winds and 40mph gusts, temp dropped into the 20s.   Too windy to sit in a treestand so I expect little to no movement untill wind dies down.  took the morning off and slept in late to 8AM :)  feels great!

I'm sitting in a stand right now. Been a successful year so far; 3 in the freezer, but now that the rut is heating up the does are all getting a pass. Hopefully a big monster will walk out soon.

Glad to know I'm not the only one surfing ARC from the stand :thumbsup:

3 in the Freezer already, awsome.   wish I would have shot some doe weeks ago now instead of letting them pass.

Yesterday I had a nice doe sniffing around me and after 20min I finally decided it was time to stick one.  pulled back on my bow and my wrist release fell off :soapbox:

That doe must have had a guardian angel...

36 minutes ago, toadwbg said:

There's tracked Deere too:

400.jpeg

Co-worker and myself snapped this one-in-a billion pic last week.  notice the deer's pose is almost identical to the logo above him.

Now that is funny right there let me tell ya! So which one did you shoot the big yellow one or the brownish one?

Edited by tosouthern66