Anyone else out deer hunting?

39 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

Now that is funny right there let me tell ya! So which one did you shoot the big yellow one or the brownish one?

I hope to shoot the brown one as I hunt about 3 miles away from where the photo was taken.

I work on the yellow ones, and green ones :cheers:

Edited by toadwbg
3 hours ago, toadwbg said:

I hope to shoot the brown one as I hunt about 3 miles away from where the photo was taken.

I work on the yellow ones, and green ones :cheers:

Well if you shoot the yellow one you are doing your part to keep yourself employed!

4 hours ago, toadwbg said:

What state you hunting in?  WI gun opener is today.  I'm not doing WI this year, have in the past.

Very cold and windy in the Midwest today.    Last night winter arrived and we've had 20mph winds and 40mph gusts, temp dropped into the 20s.   Too windy to sit in a treestand so I expect little to no movement untill wind dies down.  took the morning off and slept in late to 8AM :)  feels great!

I'm in Georgia, the deer aren't huge but you get 10 does and two bucks and gun season is 3 months long, hard to beat that.   I missed bow season this year due to shoulder surgery,  definitely ready for next year.  Gun is fun but nothing beats bow

We have a season here from either Aug. 15th or 31st to Jan 1, depending on if you live in the upstate or low country.  We are infested with over population of deer.  There was even talk of keeping the season open longer at one time.  Fewer hunters are in the woods these days. One article said it was mostly due to private properties being leased out to wealthy hunters from other states where these properties were hunted by locals many years ago.  Hunting is a big business here in SC, but according to DNR, fewer hunting licenses are being sold to residents, more to out of state.  Locals are cashing in, but fewer hunters mean more deer to get in the roadways, eat gardens and basically encroach into cities.  We had a buck get into a local Subway sandwich shop a few years back.  He wreaked havoc in that store and it was in the middle of Columbia.  

I spent numerous hours planting fields to feed deer year round.  Lots of fun working with friends doing this. Maybe one day I'll pick it up again.  Still have the Marlin .30-30 in the safe and the orange safety vests. 

18 hours ago, toadwbg said:

Don't know what state you live in, but here in Iowa and other Midwestern states we have a muzzle loader season. Muzzys are a great and more inexpensive season for starter hunters.

I'm in Ontario and muzzle loaders scare me. 

Shot a doe last night at sunset, shot a Buck this AM at sunrise (have a tag for both).  both slithered away but got blood trails for both.

Stay tuned.  Putting my 2 boys to work helping dad track these critters down!

Good luck everyone!  Seriously over-run by deer here, so I hope the herd is thinned mightily. 

In fact, a colleague hit one the other day with her car on the main road through town, right by campus (6 lanes of traffic!).  Campus police had to put it down. 

Never hunted myself, but I got an 8-point buck in 1986.  My truck was in the shop for six weeks, but he was delicious.  While hunting isn't my thing, I encourage all you outdoorspersons to kill as many of those things as possible and keep them out from in front of my car!  Deer are one of the biggest causes of traffic crashes in this state, causing dozens of injuries and fatalities every year.  They may be majestic,  beautiful creatures in their natural habitat,  but they're abysmally stupid and a deadly menace when it comes to highways. 

SN