Revell F/A-18F

I picked up the Revell kit at local hobby shop paid list $32.95 but I had a $25 gift certificate at the shop so it was $7.95 plus tax. Saw a Hasegawa 1/48 F-18F in original VF-84 boxing at another shop for $45.

Edited by F4DPhantomII

I just picked this kit up at my LHS this afternoon and I am sitting here dry fitting and fiddling with it (I am sure we all do this right...LOL!). Anyways, I taped parts #3, #4, #93, and #94 (nose section components together) and it looks like the upper nose section #93 could be a potential fit problem, especially along the retractable refueling probe door side. Yes? If so what's the best way to tackle that to minimize the panel line loss I see happening to fill that seam (I am TERRIBLE at re-scribing!)? Also, I dry fitted the taped together nose section to the taped together upper and lower rear fuselage sections (parts #1 and #2) and it looks like another potential substantial fit issue where the two sections meet. If yes then how did you guys tackle it? I know I am just dry fitting/taping but generally if I notice possible fit issues during this stage more often then not I encounter them during the actual assembly stage. What's a link to a good build thread out there on this kit, something that outlines its pitfalls and such?

Thanks all and regards,

Don

33 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

The windscreen is also a bit problematic.

And something else to add to the "watch" notations. There goes my relaxing build...LOL!

Thanks for the heads up Darren!

Regards,

Don.

I haven't built the Revell F/A-18F yet but I did the "E" a few years ago. Mine went together fine. I had no problems with the forward fuselage halves and windscreen.

DSC_3415_zpsgfetkmnq.jpg

Revell got the shape and panel lines correct where the windscreen sits on the forward fuselage.

Revell windscreen

clear%20parts_zpsvmixlvdq.jpg

You can see the panel lines on the forward part of the windscreen in these two photos.

100329-N-4236E-304_zps6do4gran.jpg

091206-F-8155K-642_zps7zhfzukl.jpg

9 hours ago, Don said:

I just picked this kit up at my LHS this afternoon and I am sitting here dry fitting and fiddling with it (I am sure we all do this right...LOL!). Anyways, I taped parts #3, #4, #93, and #94 (nose section components together) and it looks like the upper nose section #93 could be a potential fit problem, especially along the retractable refueling probe door side. Yes? If so what's the best way to tackle that to minimize the panel line loss I see happening to fill that seam (I am TERRIBLE at re-scribing!)? Also, I dry fitted the taped together nose section to the taped together upper and lower rear fuselage sections (parts #1 and #2) and it looks like another potential substantial fit issue where the two sections meet. If yes then how did you guys tackle it? I know I am just dry fitting/taping but generally if I notice possible fit issues during this stage more often then not I encounter them during the actual assembly stage. What's a link to a good build thread out there on this kit, something that outlines its pitfalls and such?

Thanks all and regards,

Don

Wait, so does this re-issue F model come with a retractable refueling probe? My first issue kit did not.

3 hours ago, F4DPhantomII said:

Yeah my 1st Revell one gave me problems with fit and putty.But the ones since I have solved the problems.

that is great news.  how did you go about and solve the problems of your superbug?  lots of dryfitting?  sheet styrene?  

12 hours ago, B-ONE27 said:

Wait, so does this re-issue F model come with a retractable refueling probe? My first issue kit did not.

No no sorry if I made it sound like that. That wasn't my intent. I was trying to give an indication where the seam/fit problem(s) were and the bigger one in the nose assembly runs right along the doors of where the retractable refueling probe is on the real SH. The doors are molded shut/closed on the kit.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, ytsejam87 said:

that is great news.  how did you go about and solve the problems of your superbug?  lots of dryfitting?  sheet styrene?  

Yes I'd be interested in any advice or tips myself too please.

Cheers!

Quick question for those that have built this kit...did you put nose weight in or will she sit on her gear without any weight being added? Sorry for the basic question but I build mainly tail draggers where nose weight isn't an issue.

Thanks and cheers!

Don

4 hours ago, Don said:

Quick question for those that have built this kit...did you put nose weight in or will she sit on her gear without any weight being added? Sorry for the basic question but I build mainly tail draggers where nose weight isn't an issue.

Thanks and cheers!

Don

Don, 

My F did not require any nose weight, and sits nicely on its feet still, 3 years later.

51 minutes ago, B-ONE27 said:

Don, 

My F did not require any nose weight, and sits nicely on its feet still, 3 years later.

Thank you Sir! Much appreciated.

Regards.